Thread: plastics for ice fishing

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default plastics for ice fishing

just wondering how many guys have been using plastics generally used for bass in the south for alaskan species. i can definately see shads, grubs and maybe tubes working but how many of you have used worms or other plastic creatures and what kind of success have you had? i have a good amount of lead and have been picking up some molds latley and have the powder coating down pretty well now so i am going to be expiermenting this winter. just wondering beforehand what has worked for you guys.

dont know about ice fishing but the only time out of two times anyone from my family has caught anything at big lake was a 20+ inch rainbow on a purple plastic jig.... meant for bass, sucker came off next to net

i do pretty well with tube jigs, 7/8 and 1/2 oz size. i like them a lot because they catch nearly all of the species that i like fish, lakers, char,rainbows, and pike.

i have also used some of the Berkley Gulp plastics. not really a fan. they don't work as well for me. although i have a friend that does pretty good with them.

hope it gets cold soon!

Are you looking for lake trout, or pike or something big? I've done O.K. on the peninsula with small swedish pimples I would worry that those tubes for bass might end up being too big unless you are targeting bigger fish. I seem to have better luck the smaller I go, of course I've never pulled anything bigger than about 5 lbs through the ice and that was just dumb luck.

i havent done alot of ice fishing for the last few years but when i do i like to have the chance of something big. lakers, char, burbot, and pike. i imagine that burbot will eat about anything put in front of them since they seem to be a scavenger and pike are pretty cooperative for the most part. lakers and char though would be a bit finickier. i was reasearching last night and found out that bigger char seem to like snails as they were found in there bellies along with baitfish in big lake anyway. might be kinda tough to imitate a snail (or at least extremely boring). anyone know if worms are part of the natural diet here in southcentral alaska.

I really dont think you have to be too concerned with imitating something.

Take a look at a lot of flies, they imitate nothing at all, or very little imparticular.

I like using a pink worm for pike, works like a champ (sluggos).

I also use tubes and do quite well on char rainbows and lakers. And I aint using little stuff. I do on occasion, but usually go with bigger gear, it works and works well.

Really dont know how you'd run a worm though through the ice, maybe drop shot rig, or tight line it with a big bullet head jig below it? That would definatly work and I could see them taking it.

If I remember right, they go after those snails mainly in the sandy portions and from my understanding more so in spring though I'm sure they wont turn up an escargo dinner whenever it shows up.

Also jigged up a burbot in 120 feet of water on a spoon!

Just something to get the blood pumping......

A nice double

plastics work for all alaskan gamefish
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

never tried any plastics but i would like to know how ya do please keep up updated

well i got a shad head mold coming and a roundhead jig mold i am going to make into a shakee head jig. couple others that will wear skirts along with a shad tail or eel tail. already making some ultra minnows in the two ounce size with skirts and am thinking about pouring in a copper wire so i can wrap a bait around the shank of the hook along with a skirt tail. that will be a good start for a ice fishing arsenal along with the crocodiles and airplane jigs. buddy of mine said he was using the storm plastic trout and shads with pretty good sucess last year.