Thread: The best day duck hunting this year!

Default The best day duck hunting this year!

Man what a day, Me and my two friends were at the hayflats this morning, we had to bust up ice on the pond we hunted and got set up. The first few flocks that came in we unloaded and missed every bird. Then our luck changed we had singles and doubles trickling in all day, Then had a few flocks of 30 to 50 birds come in. Finally a single goose came in that I shot, after my buddy missed it twice. We had to laugh at him, here comes this big bird right over the top of him, and he can't hit it. Final count 23 ducks and one goose. What a way to end the season!

Im envious and happy for ya'll,way to go.Hopefully I can get my 1st Goose next year.Daniel

That's awesome. This year I got I think...HMMMM!!! Oh yea, no ducks. Only went once though. Congrats

Thanks for the phone call tom!

Default sunday morning

just had a good hunt. 7 mallards...1 widgeon. you're talking about ending the season? its only 3/4 of the way over!

Default Help finding the ducks

Hello all. We are new here to Alaska - missionaries at a church camp near Big Lake - Camp Maranatha. My son and I were big waterfowlers in OK. He is 13, and I need to get him out for a couple of hunts. We can go during the week. Looking for a decent place we can wade to - no boat, sold it in OK prior to moving up, and will get one next spring prior to fishing season.

Can we get some advice/directions to get into some shooting? We shot about 200 ducks over our 1 yr old black lab last season in OK, and she is going stir crazy.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

try goose bay game refuge, or the palmer hayflats
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Thanks

Any particular spot on Goose Bay? Just need to get my boy out.

Do you have an ATV? Much needed on the PHF now? GB is a hard place to hunt without knowing where your going. Been out to GB a few times this year not really being used by the ducks. If you can stick with PHF your better off it's a much better flyway this year if you can get out toward the slough

grizzeyes

can you tell me how far of a walk to a pond where i can toss out deeks if your at rabbit slough where that bumpy rd ends at the slough? or do i need a canoe? i just moved over here and have neither atv or canoe but that's going to change fur next year.

We ride about 7-8 miles in. You can find ponds all over the place though. Just follow one of the many channels and you will eventually find one. I would recommend using a quad or canoe though. I have seen people hunt that pond to the right of the parking lot. Straight back from where those rocks are following the treeline back. I know there are a few houses back there, not sure if you can hunt it. But if you can, that would be an easy walk. Plus a lot of ducks use that pond.

I'm sure glad you guys don't know where my duck spots are!!

My spot is pretty well hidden, I see guys ride past it every morning i hunt out there, plus I get there about an hour before everybody else. That spot will go with me to the grave!

Default What about Susitna Flats?

Has anyone out there recently hunted the Sustina flats? Just wondering how that is for duck population right now? And I assume the best access point with a boat is from the Little Su launch, then head downstream to the inlet, then back up the Su?