Thread: .300 Wm

Default .300 Wm

I'm pretty set on buying a new .300 WM this fall and I'm stuck on picking the rifle. I really, really like Ruger's, I've had a great run of luck with them. I was checking out some of the new Hawkeye's, but I haven't gotten to lay my grubby fingers on one yet. I've seen the capacity listed as 3 rds and 2+1...... I'm hoping the 2+1 (on some Gunbroker listings) is a misprint. It seems to me it ought to have a 3 round capacity. Can anyone verify this?

I have some buddy's with Tikka's that enjoy the rifle but I'm not overly crazy on their appearance. The Remington 700 XCR RMEF is pretty sweet looking, but it'd be my first push-feed rifle.... not that I mind, I just haven't owned one.

If the Ruger's held 3 down, I'd swing that way right now... it's not a huge difference, but I'm used to my old featherweight '06 that holds 5 in the magazine.... kinda nice.

Thoughts?

On the Ruger website all the 300 WM's are listed as 3 round capacity.I am guessing that they are just talking about magazine capacity, just a guess. So I would say that they hold 4 total rounds,1 in the chamber and 3 in the mag. Please correct me if I am wrong, I am far from an expert on Ruger's.

Tim
    If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
    If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier.

I looked at one yesterday, not a 300WM or 338WM, a 30-06. But never the less one can see that these will hold 3 in the mag, plus Ruger spec's do state this.

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProd...iew?model=7112

My R93 holds three 338WM, 300WM etc rounds, & that's a single stack mag. That 300WM will be sweet for sure!

Go for it, IMHO these new Ruger Hawkeyes are the best bang/CRF tough-@ss rifle one could get for the $$$$$ or lack of it!
    I'm looking very hard at the 338WM model myself, just waiting to see whether these come standard with one cross-bolt in the bigger cal's

If not I'm wondering how they will stand up to recoil over the years?

Read this article. The new 375 Ruger holds three in the mag, which would mean the 300WM will be the same.

I must say this model/cal is temping me

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-Hawkeye375.htm

Hope this helps you decide.

I'm a fan of both Rugers and the 300, though I've never owned that combo. My son-in-law has one and it serves him really well. I load for it and have tested loads with him, and it certainly has the accuracy to take advantage of its long-range potential. I'm talking about sub-MOA groups with almost any bullet from 180 and up. Haven't tried any 165's or 150's, but I'd expect them to do well, too. It's a dandy long range rifle with enough power to do most any job you want done.

The features of the Hawkeye would only make it a sweeter deal in my book.

Default I have an 11 year old ruger now

bought it the day I turned 18 from chimo guns. In the last couple years I added a 3.5x10x40 leupold and hogue overmold with an aluminum bed stock. Very sweet rifle and shoots any factory bullet accurately. Most of the time less than 1/4" group at 100 yds with usually 2 bullets in one hole and one slightly off. Just use my shoulder and sand bags. I have taken 3 caribou, 2 black bear, and recent brown bear with this rifle, my only rifle. No moose yet just with my bow. But cannot say enough good things about ruger and the .300wm. I was told the this combo will take all alaska game and believe it. Awesome gun and shoots very well. Go buy one.

Thanks for the help. I've got a handful of the old Ruger's with the tang safety and some of the newer Mark II's in .25-06 and .338.... I like 'em all, accurate and reliable. I really can't say I need the .300, owning both an '06 and .338, but I want one. I guess that gives me reason enough right? Besides, I don't have a Hawkeye yet.

Oh yeah, any thoughts on the 26 inch barrel on the Remington's over the 24" on the Ruger? Ballistic's wise... how much of a difference would a person see? I'm guessing it's not enough to matter for the average shot while hunting.