Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to startwith a dead battery?

Default How to startwith a dead battery?

All,

My battery is out of juice? How do I get it started?

Gusto

If you have a recoil start us it.
    Otherwise only way I know of is a new batter.

You signature doesn't say what wheeler you have.

If the battery is toast some machines won't start without some juice even if it has a pull starter. You can use a battery charger or jump start it just like you would with a car.

Dont know what kind of wheeler it is but with a manual transmission we used to roll our quad runners/cats down a hill/push/tow with another wheeler and pop it into gear...worked like a charm

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Dont know what kind of wheeler it is but with a manual transmission we used to roll our quad runners/cats down a hill/push/tow with another wheeler and pop it into gear...worked like a charm
    Towing in gear also works with a belt driven automatic tranny, I've done it more than once, you need to get going 15-20 mph though

Default DWS how does that work?

DWS I have a 700 Polaris sportsman with no recoil starter

A dead battery is my worst nightmare

Can you tell me how that towing start works??

I know how it would work with a manual tranny..........getting it going then poppping it into gear but.......

how would you do the trick on a belt drive?

Thanks

I have removed my belt cover ( 8 bolts and 5 min. ) on my 700 sportsman and pull started it off the primary clutch, just make sure you pull the right way so your not turning the motor backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by pathfinder View Post
    DWS I have a 700 Polaris sportsman with no recoil starter

A dead battery is my worst nightmare

Can you tell me how that towing start works??

I know how it would work with a manual tranny..........getting it going then poppping it into gear but.......

how would you do the trick on a belt drive?

Thanks
    No trick. Just put the machine into high if you have high and low or if only one gear then put it that. Turn the key on and get someone to tow you. My 660 grizz will fire up at a little over 10mph. The belt will spin the motor on these automatics!!! Many people have argued with me on forums saying it won't work, all people who haven't tried it and know nothing
    The last two days of a hunting trip my starter went out and I broke the pull starter rope. I had a buddy tow start me 15 times in those 2 days, I know it works

Default Why are you making this hard?

For $10 you can make your own jumper cables to keep in your ATV, for $70 you can buy a new battery and for $350 you can buy a Polaris VersaWinch.
    By the way, where is your Sportsman stuck and without juice--at home or on the trail? That would make our recommendations more specific for you...

IceKing02

Thats good to know. Thanks DWS!!

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    No trick. Just put the machine into high if you have high and low or if only one gear then put it that. Turn the key on and get someone to tow you. My 660 grizz will fire up at a little over 10mph. The belt will spin the motor on these automatics!!! Many people have argued with me on forums saying it won't work, all people who haven't tried it and know nothing
    The last two days of a hunting trip my starter went out and I broke the pull starter rope. I had a buddy tow start me 15 times in those 2 days, I know it works
    I think it will only work on the Yamahas and Suzukis and Cats (same clutch design) as their belt is always engaged on the clutches, that's why they have awesome engine braking. I believe Kawis and Polaris just free-spool. Might be wrong tho.

Quote Originally Posted by forAK View Post
    I think it will only work on the Yamahas and Suzukis and Cats (same clutch design) as their belt is always engaged on the clutches, that's why they have awesome engine braking. I believe Kawis and Polaris just free-spool. Might be wrong tho.
    You maybe right Sounds right to me.

I sure like my gears and kick starter on my "old" Honda Foreman.

I want to try the bump starting my Grizzly 660. That is really good to know that it will start by pulling it. I don't think my Grizzly 700 will start that way however as it is fuel injected and it needs electrical power to inject fuel to the cylinder. I have the 700 put away for the winter but I have the snowplow on the 660 and I intend to try it with the 660.

Default Worth a try with EFI

if you are lucky you may get enough out of the alternator to power the EFI. Pretty sure you would be hosed pullstarting. Does the new Griz even have a pull starter?
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

No pull start on the 700.

Yeah,,these new machines..dont think i care for all the fancy stuff.EFI ,belt drive,no recoil start.Ill stick to my King quad with gears and recoil start.

You're right about no pull starter on the Grizzly 700. My 660 is about all I want to pull over by hand. Why no compression relief on it I wonder? My friend's Honda 300 has a compression release. I used to own a Kawasaki 400 manual which I bought new in 1993 which didn't come with any auxillary starter system but you could buy a kick starter for $75 here in Fairbanks which I did right away. That's what they should all have as it is a lot easier to kick them over than to pull up on a cord.

Default X2 on the kick starter over pull

but the footwell would probably shorten the stroke to much. The pull tarter on my 700 Prairie is usable, but the one on the Rancher usually was good for one pull and I was stringing the cord all around the wheeler when it wouldn't retract.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Quote Originally Posted by danthedewman1 View Post
    Yeah,,these new machines..dont think i care for all the fancy stuff.EFI ,belt drive,no recoil start.Ill stick to my King quad with gears and recoil start.
    Hop on one of these new bikes with all the "fancy stuff" and I'll bet you'll be wondering why you're riding your king quad...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast