Thread: ft rich archery moose

Default ft rich archery moose

Got lucky and drew this tag from mid Dec to mid Jan, probably will go before Christmas. Not from Anchorage area myself, was told the hunt was on the south side of Glenn Hwy and I'd be parking in a residential area and walking in. Anybody on here done this before and have any advice? Are there public access places or am I walking thru yards. Wondering about terrain, chance of seeing moose. Practicing a lot at 60 yds but feeling pretty good to 50 right now.

Default Ft Rich Hunt

There are more areas to hunt than just the sections behind the houses on Muldoon Rd-
    I think the Army folks will require you to attend an orientation session, where they will give you a map, and go through the drill on where and when you can hunt. A good friend of mine drew that tag last year, and wound up killing a bull on the North side of the Hwy, but he hunted very hard before he finally go his shot-
    In some areas, hunting from X-country skiis is pretty efftective, especially if you abandon the poles. (they make a lot of noise) You can cover quite a bit of ground on skiis, and the moose may let you cruise right up to them-
    :}

Default Had that last year...

I had that permit last year and found a moose pretty quickly. I was somewhat of an exception to the rule last year though as many people took a lot longer to find theirs if they did at all. Part of my success was that I was not being picky (taking the first available animal since I was just meat hunting, not looking for any kind of trophy).

There are a lot of areas to hunt and it may depend on the weather as to where you will find the animals (might move down the hill more if there is a lot of snow).

The orientation will help a lot as to where to look. Good luck on your hunt.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by murphydog View Post
    ....was told the hunt was on the south side of Glenn Hwy and I'd be parking in a residential area and walking in. Anybody on here done this before and have any advice? Are there public access places or am I walking thru yards....
    I don't think you'll be hunting in the family housing area, and you certainly shouldn't have to park there if you're hunting on the east side of the Glenn Hwy.

The east side of the highway is where many small arms ranges are, and the area Raven 1 mentioned can also be accessed at the Bulldog Trail gate near the Moose Run golfcourse.

Ft. Rich is divided into numerous sections. The MPs and/or DPW Habitat Officer will tell you which areas you can access during any particular day.

....Wondering about terrain, chance of seeing moose......
    The area between Ship Creek, the Muldoon boundary, and Campbell Creek is fairly flat to slightly rising toward the Chugach Mountains, and the area holds lots of moose and bear. In fact, the dense housing of Muldoon make that belt like a virtual animal freeway around Anchorage..........

Default Congrates on drawing a permit

You will recieve a letter in the mail very soon. It will tell you what to bring and when for your orientation. There will be lots of area for you to hunt, none will be in housing. Hopefully we will answer all your questions and concerns at the orientation. We will have maps and phone numbers and how to check in and see what areas are open for the day. Look foward to meeting you.

psst Mark....I am not a "habitat officer" lol

Quote Originally Posted by AKRDGRUNNER View Post
    You will recieve a letter in the mail very soon. It will tell you what to bring and when for your orientation. There will be lots of area for you to hunt, none will be in housing. Hopefully we will answer all your questions and concerns at the orientation. We will have maps and phone numbers and how to check in and see what areas are open for the day. Look foward to meeting you.

psst Mark....I am not a "habitat officer" lol
    Is this the ORININAL RIDGERUNNER? If so long time no talk! Still in Eagle River and lovin the retired life!

Roy

Talking Hey Roy (salmonberry boy) lol

Quote Originally Posted by Frznrdneck View Post
    Is this the ORININAL RIDGERUNNER? If so long time no talk! Still in Eagle River and lovin the retired life!

Roy

Yep its me

Default When is the application deadline for next year

Redeploying in two weeks from Iraq back to Fort Richardson. Definitely know that I can't hunt this year but when can I put in for the draw for next year and what are the chances of being drawn? Thanks.

Smile Goody - Thanks for your service and ...

The deadline for this and other fall permit hunts is the end of next May '08. The bad news is the selection rate is around 2-3 % and if you're drawn you have to pay an additional $125 to FRA MWR when you attend their mandatory orientation and shooting test.

The winter supplement is out and you can review and consider applying starting 1 Nov for other hunts around the state next year also

Hooaah!
    SEM

Default That Sucks!

SEM, thanks for providing me some knowledge and the draw rate is a little discouraging seeing how I will be living around them daily.... Maybe I'll get lucky and make one of the draws in the next few years. I don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon. I'll also look into some of the other draws and just make them a lot of fun! Goody

Default Good Info, slight correction

Quote Originally Posted by SEMofWasilla View Post
    The deadline for this and other fall permit hunts is the end of next May '08. The bad news is the selection rate is around 2-3 % and if you're drawn you have to pay an additional $125 to FRA MWR when you attend their mandatory orientation and shooting test.

The winter supplement is out and you can review and consider applying starting 1 Nov for other hunts around the state next year also

Hooaah!
    SEM
    The 125.00 is for natural resources habitat improvements on Fort Richardson. It does not go to MWR. We stopped the mandatory shoot part of the orientation. I too say thank you for your service and wish you luck on the Draw

I heard they stopped the shooting part. Why is that? I thought it was a good idea.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Bear is to cool!

But he darn sure makes me tired...LOL...

I'll throw the name in the hat and if it doesn't happen then I'll go elsewhere. Do they give me any priority since I live on post or is this open to everyone? yes, i'm looking for loopholes or exceptions to better my chances.....

Gary, how large is the Alaska Bowhunter Association? Just curious as to how I can become a member.

Ridge runner, I do it for the excitement kind of like bowhunting.... Love my job just wish I could get a pay raise....

Quote Originally Posted by Goody View Post
    But he darn sure makes me tired...LOL...

I'll throw the name in the hat and if it doesn't happen then I'll go elsewhere. Do they give me any priority since I live on post or is this open to everyone? yes, i'm looking for loopholes or exceptions to better my chances.....

Gary, how large is the Alaska Bowhunter Association? Just curious as to how I can become a member.
    Nope and yes, the only way to better your chances are to simply apply for those hunts.

Default We'll submit and see!

Worst case I can serve as a scout and update you guys on where the big one is staying..... At least then I can have some fun in the pursuit.....

I'm not going anywhere for the next three years and then I'll just relocate off post to start the second career so I'll get drawn sooner or later....

Elmendorf work pretty much the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Goody View Post

Ridge runner, I do it for the excitement kind of like bowhunting.... Love my job just wish I could get a pay raise....

No priority for living on base. As for the ABA Good question on how many members we have. I missed this month meeting so I don't know. As in becoming a member here is our sit. http://www.akbowhunters.com
    You can go on and join from there. We send out 4 magazines a year. Our banquet is Feb 8 Sat and we will be having a Friday night and sat events again.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Two Reasons

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    I heard they stopped the shooting part. Why is that? I thought it was a good idea.
    One was to try and drop the wounding rate....after a couple of years of stats.....the wounding rate did not change much. Second; the shooting portion was logistically and manpower instensive,,,,something we do not have alot of to put towards one event with little positive results.

The rest are correct. Military do not get a preference. There is lots of guidance that mandates that, plus the fact that the state administers the draw.

Going to the room as soon as I send this to get my card so I can join. Appears to be something I'd enjoy and definitely for a great cause. Look forward to getting home so I can meet some of you guys and sling some arrows and learn a thing or two.