Thread: Anyone been to the Wulik River?

Question Anyone been to the Wulik River?

I am planning to float the Wulik River in NW Alaska next September. Has anyone been there? I floated the nearby Kelly and Kugururok but dont have any insights on the Wulik. Anyone willing to help out? Any insights greatly appreciated. My wife and I will be going alone this year and I am trying to do my homework in hopes that we will have a safe and enjoyable trip. That will make it easier to get her up there next time. Ha ha.

I spent a summer working in the headwaters of the Wulik a few years ago. What do you want to know? PM me and I'll tell you what I can. Not sure how far up you plan on starting, but it's easily one of the most uninhabited places in Alaska at the upper end.

Isaac

Default Wulik...

I would like to get far up as possible. Just my wife and I going and on no real schedule. Mostly curious if the river is safe to paddle in canoe. We use Ally pack canoes and love them. But dont want to get into a dangerous situation. Cant find much info on this river. A good and bad thing. Anyone been there?

Default hmmm

I would try to pm or call Walt (northwest something rentals)

That's a great suggestion by Rugger. Walt's on this forum (username: northwestalska), and yes, there his username lacks the second "A" in Alaska. Try sending him a PM, and best of luck.

Rick

Default Wulik River

I think the Wulik River is covered in Sepp Weber's book "Wild Rivers of Alaska"

http://www.alibris.com/search/books/author/Sepp%20Weber

As I remember Sepp explored the Wulik on an extended wilderness kayaking trip. If Sepp still is reachable, you can try to contact him thru Alyeska Ski Resort where he used to run the Ski School and has/had a guiding service.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Mod71Alaska; 10-20-2007 at 20:11. Reason: correct error

Default Will do...

Appreciate the tip Mod71 and welcome to the forum. Lots of knowledgable and friendly folks on here. I am sure you will enjoy. I lived in Kotz and Nome for about two years. My wife and I are travel nurses and were there working contracts with the hospitals. Fell in love with the place. Being from NC, didnt have much insight into Alaska. I couldnt tell you how much the people who frequent this forum have taught me. Now we get up to Alaska a couple times a year and do a yearly float trip. Easy place to fall in love with. No place else like it. As for the guy you mentioned, I will try to contact him. Thanks for the book suggestion as well. I am eager for any info on the Wulik. Thanks to anyone willing to help out.

Default Rapids on south fork...

Read something recently on a set of rapids about 0.6 miles long up the south fork of the Wulik. Anyone seen any rapids up there. Cant get good info on where they are, just that they exist. Any insights appreciated.