Thread: trapping bait...i have 5 gl bucket of salmon eggs..what to do?

Default trapping bait...i have 5 gl bucket of salmon eggs..what to do?

Ok, i have a 5 gl bucket of salmon eggs from seining this past aug...there are no fly eggs in them....i punched a small hole at the top to let air out...

what should i do?....i've heard that there will be an oil on top when i pull the lid adn that i should scrap it off as bait...

should i mix last years beaver gland lure in some of it?...use a boiling recipe, etc? or mix my first fox and beaver glands in some of it!..

what about the pink cure stuff you use on the eggs for fishing bait?....i have some i have never used....would that be good to harden it up to package adn then freeze.....

thanks for any help!
    scotty
    Scotty in the AK bush

Smile sugar

sugar will help harden the eggs

Here's an idea if its marten you might go after- they have a sweet tooth. Mix some of the eggs with molasses, pour goop in an old ice cube tray, and freeze. Presto- instant stinky-sweet bait bits.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryHyde View Post
    Here's an idea if its marten you might go after- they have a sweet tooth. Mix some of the eggs with molasses, pour goop in an old ice cube tray, and freeze. Presto- instant stinky-sweet bait bits.
    I bet you could sell those for quite a bit in asia
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Sodium Benzonate them for a few days at room temperature. Puree in food processor. Add some castor to it, fine ground. Mink glands, muskrat musk and shellfish oil. I let it sit in jars for a couple months and then i lightly heat Lanolin and mix it all together. A great paste bait for the water line on mink and also works great here in Wa for otter and cats too. Coons out the wazzoo with it also.
    Take a youngster out when you go, it will change his/her life forever!!