Thread: how to make cran berry jam? not sure..

Default how to make cran berry jam? not sure..

ok, i live in a native village and i hear about making cranberry jam, but, can't get a reliable recipe...i've done my own jam with pectin recipes and it works great!

hey, i mixed salmon berries and with thelittle bitty rasberries we have and it was awesome!...one cup of raspberries makes it soooo sweet!...

anyway, hope to hear something on craberry jam...
    scotty
    Scotty in the AK bush

Default easy cranberry jam without pectin

Grandma’s Easy Cranberry Jam without pectin
    • 1 lb cranberries
    • ½ cups water
    • 2 cups sugar
    • grind/mash or put in blender the cranberries and water. Then boil about 6 minutes
    • add sugar and boil about 3 minutes longer. Pour into sterile jars. For long term storage: process jars 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.
    Cranberries have sufficient acid and natural pectin to gel. However, many recipes still call for pectin. Try the following recipe if you want your product to always have the same consistency and be more like jelly, rather than jam. My family likes a little variety so if one batch comes out a little thicker than another it is “no biggie”. We tend to go with the easy recipe .

A sure fire way to test if your jam/jelly has reached the right sugar concentration to gel without added pectin is to use a candy thermometer and record the exact temperature at which the mixture first boils (this temp could vary due to altitude or weather). Continue to boil. When the temperature registers 8F to 10F above the initial boiling point the jelly is done.

Here's another recipe for Cranberry jam using pectin
    • 2lbs ripe cranberries (about 7 1/2 cups)
    • 4 cups water
    • 5 1/2 cups sugar
    • 1/2 teaspoon butter (optional)
    • 1 (3 oz envelope) fruit pectin
    • STIR sugar into prepared fruit in saucepot. Add butter to reduce foaming, if desired. Bring mixture to full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly.
    • STIR in pectin quickly. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and skim off any foam with metal spoon.
    • LADLE into prepared jars. Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath to preserve and seal jars.
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Thank you for the above, I asked the boss the first day I saw this request. She did not have one, now we do. This with five gallons of this seasons berries in the freezer will come in handy.

Your very welcome!

As a side note, these simple recipes work well for many of our wild berries that have high natural acid/pectin content...like blueberries, raspberries and lingonberries to name a few.

If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Thank you for the last, that was conformation to the idea I extrapolated from your other post. I felt that that might be the case.