Thread: Spring BB/Boat based..Suggestions?

Default Spring BB/Boat based..Suggestions?

WOW!!
    Plenty of great information on this board. Only problem is that there is to much of it!!.

I found after reading all that I could, I am more confused than ever. I am hopping you guys can give me a hand.

This is our situation. I want to take my Dad on a boat based brown bear hunt next spring. He not getting any younger and his physical condition is bad at best. Knees/Shoulders etc etc

His dream has always been to hunt Brown bear in Alaska. And I happen to think a Boat based hunt is going to be the only way it works.

In his ideal situation, he would like to hunt a respectable BB that would measure up only on his scale. Size is not as important as the experience.

He wants to be able to fish during the down time, eat seafood at night and hunt with someone who will try there very best for him. Safety and being on the good side of the law are paramount. 7-10 days would be best.

Now as for price.. I don't see a need to pay the most expensive, but at the same time we are rather afraid of the cheapest. Having a chance to see these BB would be a trophy in it self, but obviously we would like a hunt that showed us a good opportunity or 2.

Can you guys recommend a great outfitter or hunting service so that we could begin the conversation.

I want this for my dad due to the hard work he has put in thought his life and its just now that finances say its OK to go (read that as "Mom" finally said it was OK")

I want this to come together for my dad and for myself. He is coming up on 60 and I am not sure how many great adventures he has left in him.

I have already mentioned on another thread the following Boat based out fitter
    Glacier Mountain Outfitters
    Greg & Petra Jennen

Now Greg seems like a good guy, but I am a little apprehensive about the fact that I cant seem to find a ton of info on his company. I enjoyed our long conversation yesterday, but he is just in the process of getting permits from the GOV, so he has no references in regards to this particular area. Also he says there is no fishing in the area he hopes to hunt.
    He did mention we would be hunting Hitchenbrook Island.
    Does anyone have any info on this place?

I know it seems that I am asking a TON of questions, but I need knowledgeable answers and have always found it best to go right to those that know what they are talking about

Thanks
    Jamie

Im sure that the outfitter knows what he is talking about, but I have been to Valdez twice and both times I chartered a Halibut fishing trip, we fished off of Hitchenbrook and did very well on the Halibut, I dont know why he would say there is no fishing there.

Default boat BB hunt

take a good look at Tok River Outfitters

Yoter.. Perhaps it is just the time of year? May 25 or so?

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by yoter View Post
    Im sure that the outfitter knows what he is talking about, but I have been to Valdez twice and both times I chartered a Halibut fishing trip, we fished off of Hitchenbrook and did very well on the Halibut, I dont know why he would say there is no fishing there.

Thumbs up BB-Boat base hunt

Check out www.alaskacoastalmarine.com My Father,Girlfriend & I doing a spring Black bear & Halibut combo hunt next spring ,Also know they do BB hunts aswell..Good luck

boat based your probably gonna wanna stick with south east alaska, hitchenbrook is probably not where you wanna be for a spring bear hunt on the beaches, south east has alot more options that time of year. parkers guides service is one, adams guide service comes to mind, jonnie laird might have some insight, not sure if he does boat hunts though. woods outfitting might have something for you as well.

"That's what puts Glacier Mountain Outfitters in the top 1% of the guiding profession.
    Remember, hype and salesmanship only go so far."

Thats a quote from their websight..that in itself would make me leary, since there is very very little press on them.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Leary?

BRWNBR,

I'm not exactly sure why you're "leary" of the particular phrase you lifted from my web page. I don't pretend to be a salesman and I think the results speak for themselves. I guide almost all of my hunts myself and am virtually 100% success on everything. If that's not in the top 1% I'm not sure what is. Perhaps the reason there's "Very,very little press" on me is because that's how I like it. I don't advertise because I don't need to. At the same time I certainly don't need you chiming in with negative feed back when it's obvious you are engaged in pure speculation.

You recommend Bruce Parker as a good boat based outfitter. I couldn't agree more. I consider him to be by far the best in S.E. Alaska. Of course I may be biased because he trained me. (In years past I've guided for several of the others as well). He and I are among the few guides that do not have patented excuses when it comes to unsuccessful hunts. I.E. "It was too wet, dry, hot, cold..." Fill in the blank.

As an aside, While I have no control over what a third party posts online, I think this whole thread is moot as the hunt and hunting grounds in question were purely hypothetical, discussed as such and should not be considered as a viable option as at this time as there are no permits available to undertake such a trip. (Nor would I consider offering one under those circumstances).

I'm proud of my record and my ethics and I see this whole thread as a potential misunderstanding on several levels.

Regards,

Greg

What Greg says is the truth. His only communication with me in regards to the permits was on a "possible" scenario.

I felt it was in our best interest to find out as much as we could about this possible opportunity as this is a major undertaking for both of us. I know this will be Dad's first and last trip to Alaska to go hunting and it will most defiantly stretch my budget. So I believe getting as many opinions and experiences as possible is one of the prudent ways to try and ensure a enjoyable hunt.

All of my research of Greg has been very positive so far as I had expected after our conversation.

Thanks
    Jamie

Greg, thanks for the clarification, leary was posted since anyone who gives them self a 1% rating in a business with no rating, is stricly self speculation as well, and there to boost the apeal...i'm glad your almost 100 percent and that you don't need press, thats great for business, plus you don't need excuses for unsuccessfull hunts since your "virtualy" 100% right. But it might be nice to have others back up your claims and brag you up, rather than yourself, that way they don't look so....umm...leary?!
    have a great season!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thumbs up Boat based spring brown bear info

Jamie,

A second vote for Tok River Outfitters...Chris and John Erickson. You won't find anyone who will work harder for you that is 100% honest in their dealings with you. The safety issues you mentioned and "being on the good side of the law" are also paramount with these guys. A great outfit based on a very comfortable warm boat and you will be in beautiful country. They take only a limited number of hunters each year, so contact them soon. PM me if you have any questions you'd like me to answer.

Good luck on finding the right hunt for your Dad. It is fantastic that you are planning to take him to Alaska for a hunt.

Bernie P.