Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a lot of help

Default Need a lot of help

Mom needs help. My son just moved to Alaska and loves to hunt. However, he moved from the South/east USA so the weather is a lot different. For xmas I would like to buy him some good hunting boots since he walks a lot when hunting but they must be good for your cold weather also.

I would also like to buy him a good set of binocalurs. All information would be helpful.

Default my 2 cents worth

Having come here from Alabama, many gave alot of brand name advice. what i would reccomend is to take him to sportsman's warehouse to see many types and brands. If he hunted down south, then he already has a pretty good idea. I realize this isn't much help, but I tried and Welcome to the forums too

Default Welcome

I wouldn't worry about name brands and Sportsmans is not the best place to buy stuff. Last I knew of army/navy down town was selling pack boots. Great winter boots. I would give them a call or visit. I would post the size you need and maybe a member here has a pair new or close to it they would let go for a reasonable price.
    Good luck

Bill
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Most hunting is done in the fall, so an insulated winter boot is probably not the best choice. They will be useful for other winter activities, but if you're really looking for a hunting boot I would avoid too much insulation. (Most feet generate plenty of heat while walking, and hunting in the fall isn't usually too cold.)

We have had numerous discussions about hunting boots on this site, and in every one of these threads the most commonly recommended boot has been the Lowa Sheep Hunter. I have a very similar boot to this, and I cannot say enough good things about LOWA boots. As long as they fit his feet well, I can say that I have not found a better boot out there.

They are not cheap, but Alaskan terrain is rugged and wet. A quality boot often is the difference between an enjoyable experience and having to turn around because of miserably painful feet. In my opinion, you should not worry about insulation and also should probably stay away from less expensive brands such as Danner or Cabelas-brand boots. This substantial investment now will last longer and perform better in the long run.

Cableas gift card - the best gift a mom can give
    Mike

Where will he be in AK?

Default binocalurs

Thanks for all the information on the post about boots. What about binocalurs for hunting? type, model name brand ect.

Mark

You're a great Mom!

I second 3H's comment about the Cabela's gift card, especially for the boots. In the fall, I tend to wear rubber boots, and the prices of good quality rubber boots (even waders) can be $150.

Binoculars are very expensive, but they're also extremely important for Alaskan hunting. I'd figure $500 at a minimum, and up to $1000 is one heck of a loving gift for a young, fresh Alaskan outdoorsman.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Binoculars are very expensive, but they're also extremely important for Alaskan hunting. I'd figure $500 at a minimum, and up to $1000 is one heck of a loving gift for a young, fresh Alaskan outdoorsman.
    Mark is right that top of the line binoculars being expensive. One mid-priced model that has gotten great reviews on these forums is the Nikon Monarch. They can be found for about $300 and while they are not the best on the market, they are a very good set that is clear and easy on the eyes. This is what I have and I couldn't be happier.

I recently bought a set of the Nikon Monarch binoculars. They are great. Very good optics for the money. I would say the high end stuff is better, but not worth the additional 1200+ bucks in my opinion.

Default Binoculars

As far as binoculars go, the magnification that you should be choosing is either 10X40 or 8X40. A 10X40 gives approximately 10 power magnification with an objective lens (the front lens) width of 40 mm. Objective lenses (the "40" part) should not get smaller than this because the ability to see well at dusk becomes greatly compromised. A 10X50 becomes really heavy. There is a noticeable difference between 8 power and 10 power but I suggest 8 power because an 8X40 allows great visibility at low light and is lighter, all else being equal. Other brands to consider are Burris, Leupold Wind River series, and Steiner. I suspect he will eventually want a spotting scope too, and althought the basics are similar, the price of a good one is substantially higher.

Default Binoc Advice

Mom,
    If you do nothing else, for the binocular, do yourself a big favor and call Doug @ Cameraland in NYC. He is the absolute best at getting the buyer the correct optics for the best money. He also gets gently used optics that were on display at dealer shows and the discount is substantial. I live in the central US and he ships DHL which usually gets to you the next day! I have stopped buying my optics and cameras locally and only deal with him.
    Call him: 1-866-9optics , M-F 9-6 Sat 9-5 (EST)

Smile 2nd vote for cabelas...

That's the best gift I get for xmas. Mom doesn't even mess around anymore.

Default Way to Go Mom!!

Your son is a lucky man!

I would hold off on getting any binos - having hunted in Alabama, he may already own a decent set of 8x or 10x binoculars. If he doesn't, I also recommend the Nokon Monarchs as a good set at a very reasonable price. I've used them on Alaska hunts where we glassed for several hours each day, and never had problemns with eyestrain or anything else.

If you get him a gift certificate to Cabela's and tell him about this Forum, he'll have a great start.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by knikhunter View Post
    Mom,
    If you do nothing else, for the binocular, do yourself a big favor and call Doug @ Cameraland in NYC. He is the absolute best at getting the buyer the correct optics for the best money. He also gets gently used optics that were on display at dealer shows and the discount is substantial. I live in the central US and he ships DHL which usually gets to you the next day! I have stopped buying my optics and cameras locally and only deal with him.
    Call him: 1-866-9optics , M-F 9-6 Sat 9-5 (EST)
    New York City?

Default You can get a good pair of Bushnell's...

10x40's, that are 100% H2O proof, for around $90.00 @ Big Rays...

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    10x40's, that are 100% H2O proof, for around $90.00 @ Big Rays...
    Those bino's suck. I've seen two fail in the field in two years. There's a reason why they are $90.

I spend most the fall in my good old "Muck boots" I love em! And yes, they are warm, almost too warm. I even wore them to do our Delta hunt. Not much for traction but feet were warm and dry.

Debbie
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

I hunted mostly in my lacrosse burley mud boots. They held up fantastic, warm and pretty comfortable. I used them for spring blackies on stand, moose hunting in forest/flat land, deer hunting on montague island and jaunts in the local woods rabbit hunting . Not a leak. I dont think they are more than 100 bucks. except for sheep hunting, they are probably the best all around thing IMO. Also this is my first year hunting exclusivley with muck boots. I used to always wear a waterproof hiker. Im pretty sold on the muck boots and will probably choose these for gear 90 percent of the time now.

dont forget to tell us where he will be living and hunting.

$299 Nikon Monarchs do me just fine, but lots of people spend much much more.

If I lost mine, it would hurt but I'd recover.

If I lost a $900 pair, I would end my love affair with the outdoors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast