Thread: Sea Runner gallons per hour

Default Sea Runner gallons per hour

Hi,

I'm considering buying a Hewes 20' sea runner with soft top and 115 hp Yamaha 4-stroke. I'm a bit concerned about the fuel consumption though.

Anyone out there with a similar boat that could tell me how it does?

Or, I might try to get a 90 hp on it instead. In that case, anyone out there with that power? How will it do pushing that size boat?

Thanks for any advice!

I certainty would not go with a 90 on this boat unless you always plan on fishing solo and carrying a miminum amout of gear.
    As far as the fuel consumption a general rule of thumb is 1 gallon per hour for each 10 hp if you are running flat out. Cruising I would suspect you would burn 5-6 gallons an hour which is not bad in todays world of big boats.
    Tennessee

I suppose it would depend on where you use the boat the most. On the ocean I never get up on step much because it is so bumpy so a smaller motor would be more economical - difference in price projected in extra gallons used over time. I am not sure if the 115 is fuel injected, but I believe the 90 is carburated ? If so- the gpm may be pretty close, especially if you could use a steeper pitch prop. If money isn't too much of concern, you will never be sorry to get the largest motor possible. The soft top is light and simple, but after a week in rain on the sound things get a little drippy. I treat mine with Canvak every year, but after all the rain, I always vow to get a hardtop someday.........

Default A little bit bigger boat

I have a 22 foot Sea Runner without the extended transom and had posted this information earlier this year.:

Just for infomration I just installed my new Flow Meter, Northstar F210,and here are the results for a 220 Sea Runner Soft Top Yamaha 115
    MPH RPM GPH
    19.5 4000 4.1
    25 4500 4.9
    29 5000 5.9
    33 5500 7.4
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

I have a 26 sea runner with twins.

20RPM= 8 GPH
    42RPM= 13 GPH
    60RPM= 21 GPH

Just cut the numbers in half on the GPH and you get the GPH for one engine.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default I've got a 2007 22-foot w/ 115 hp Yamaha 4-st

And it takes about 33 - 35 gallons of gas to go from Whittier to near Montague Island and back ( about 150 miles round trip). I cruise at about 27 mph, top speed is about 33. That's with 3 people in the boat, I'd probably use a little less if I slowed down a bit, but it's such a long trip. A couple big halibut in the boat will increase your consumption also, but you probably won't care.

You'll never regret having too much power, but certainly will always wish for just a bit more.

I've got a Honda 90 hp on a 20.5 foot Boulton soft top. I cruise at about 22-24 mph and burn between 4.5 and 5.0 gph on flat seas with 3 people and gear. I am totally pleased with this motor and fuel consumption rate and would not hesitate to buy another boat of similar size with a 90. I obviously burn more fuel during rough seas and heavier loads. Just my 2 cents.

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

Here is something to think about. The bigger motor will push that boat faster at the same RPM. The bigger motor will swing a bigger prop. I have been doing some numbers for my new boat and found going with twin 140's I will get better economy than with twin 115's. Look for some performance tests on the net.
    Mike

When I repowered my 22ft drop bow (welded aluminum) last November, I went from a 130 Honda to a 175 Suzuki swinging a much bigger 16 inch prop. With the Honda 130, I had to switch props when running fully loaded just to get on plane. Or, switch to a 'speed prop' for normal loads.

Now, with more horses, the boat pulls strong all the way to 40+mph, cruises at 30mph burning 8gph, and pulls like a mule on the bottom end.

More power gives options that too little power can't.

Default Get the most HP yo can afford

I agree with what everyone says on this: a smaller engine will have to run higher RPM for the same performance a bigger outboard will give you at less RPM. I had a 18ft SeaRunner with a Yamaha 115 on it and I consistently got 8-9 GPH at around 4.5 K RPM. There are a lot of variables such as type of seas, prop pitch, number of passengers and number of big halibut or deer(preferred) on board, but after it all, I'd rather have a bigger outboard.
    I also agree that after redoing my canvas top several times, I bit the bullet and got a hardtop and get a lot more fishing and hunting done now than with that drippy soft top. Good Luck