Thread: Best line for ice fishing!

Default Best line for ice fishing!

So what is the best line for ice fishing at Alaskan temperatures? I remember watching a buddie last year trying to fish with one huge ice cycle hanging down.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I've used some fancy ice fishing line in the past but I haven't noticed much of a difference from the "ice fishing line" and regular mono. Typically I'll use 6 or 8lbs mono and if big fish in deep water is hte game plan I will use the braided line covered with plastic. Otherwise I haven't had any trouble pulling respectable dollies out of Big Lake with 8lbs mono. Personally I haven't noticed a catch difference when using regular mono or blue/red/black or any other color ice fishing line.

If I start to accumlate ice on my line I will put it in my mouth for a few seconds, then the ice will break off fairly easily. I like to use cocktail shrimp as bait and when that freezes I will put the shrimp in my mouth for a few seconds before placing it on a hook.

I just wish my gas powered auger was reliable....

There is no such thing as an ice line. Fish outside, you're going to get boogered.

I use power pro 12lb for laker, big char, and pike. With a flurocarbon leader. I still believe it makes a big difference on pressured fish. when the bites on, nothing is going to matter.

For trout, I'm using mono, just cuz. I'd like to run power pro here also.

one tid bit on power pro. It's a braid, nothing new there. The thicker the ice, and the bigger the fish, the more prone it is to saw into the ice. I use one of the poles that happens to have a hook on the end to move it out of the groove if it gets bad...and I will redrill a hole to keep from catching the old one. Still like light line, more feel, better action etc etc etc. It proved it'self two winters ago on the char and lakers in the interior when the guys running like setups spanked fish, the guys running heavy line caught a few.

It is what it is, it works for me, not perfect by anymeans but it works and it's worked very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    If I start to accumlate ice on my line I will put it in my mouth for a few seconds, then the ice will break off fairly easily. I like to use cocktail shrimp as bait and when that freezes I will put the shrimp in my mouth for a few seconds before placing it on a hook.

I just wish my gas powered auger was reliable....
    Ya' know you could try putting it in your.....Oh nevermind.

i tired fishign braided line in the winter and i didn't like it. it would freeze in some spots and i would end up with stiff line then soft line and well it wasn't much fun. i just use regular mono. berkly or triline.

Ya' know you could try putting it in your.....Oh nevermind.
    I have no idea what you are trying to get at.

If he put the motor in his mouth it might fix it like it fixed the frozen line and the frozen shrimp. The funny part being that putting a motor in his mouth won't really fix it.

My lawnmower was frozen up this summer and i tried putting it in my mouth and it is still frozen.

Default Gamma line

Gamma makes a line for cold water fishing. I found that it works well. 8 -10lb.

Cant wait to hit the lakes.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.