Thread: Late Bowhunt on the Peninsula???

Default Late Bowhunt on the Peninsula???

Has anyone else heard that they may change the "archery only" hunt on the kenai peninsula from before the general hunt, to after it? I am all for it and would like to know what others have heard and what they think about it?

well it'd be harder to find a legal bull but easier to call one in, sounds like a wash to me
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Why not both?

Without taking a look at hunter success, herd strength, etc, I would suggest people advocate for both.
    If I understand correctly there is currently an early bow only season. How many individual bowhunters access the hunt, what is the percent of success, and how many animals are taken?
    Am I correct that this hunt does not directly conflict with the timing for the firearms hunts?
    So why not keep the early hunt, let the non-bowhunters have the same season they do now, and push for a late season bowhunt also. Two things non-bowhunters do not want to give up are real estate or traditional hunt dates. Sounds to me like there is a great opportunity here for the bowhunters that won't cause those conflicts.
    I would not be quick to give up what I have, especially if I can add to it in the bargain.

man, such politics, and here I thought I got technical Gregg LOL

Default Kiss

OK Dan, I'll keep it simple. Seems to me to be a win win for archers to advocate for more seasons especially when they do not conflict with other hunts.
    I am surprised nobody else weighed in on the idea one way or the other. Seems people think it is too much work to go to the meetings or make a run at better opportunities. Maybe we all ought to just hang out here on the site more and then we can commiserate when we don't like what is going on.
    So Mr. TBow, what do you think about baiting grizzlies in 20B, in part due to the high number of DLP shootings in 2007? And are you willing to walk down to the meetings with me to help push it through?
    Wonder what the South Central folks are willing to do to help themselves out too? We never heard much back from the ANC folks about how to band together to open up new opportunities.
    Oops, sorry. I forgot it is easier to be a problem identifier than a problem solver. My bad.

Well I'll throw my .02 in.
    I'm just not sure how I feel about it.
    I live in Kenai & b\the bow is my primary hunting weapon.. I've long said I wish our bow only season was followed regular season, not proceeded it. Had even thought about seeing what would have to be done to make it happen.
    BUT, here's my concern (that may offend others). I might be against it just because it could draw large crowds from elsewhere. Not too many folks hit the early season. Succes rates are low, bugs are nasty, general saeson is yet to come (with it's hope of a filled freezer).
    A rut hunt? That might be a different ballgame. Might attract lots of folks from ANC & further, & while I don't mind dharing the woods with them, I'm not sure the moose population is there. Due to work constraints & other committments I only got to spend about 20 hrs actually hunting this year.
    In that 20 hrs I saw 3 adult cows without calfs, one cow with a single calf, & a brown bear. Most folks I know went mooseless this year, including a lot of guys that put in long hours & generally score.

lv4bowfishing, is this a rumor? Where did you here it?
    AKRR, I haven't heard of any meetings pertaining to this. If I did I would surely be there.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

It was actually brought up in an archery class here in soldotna, by the instructors. I have no idea if there have been any meetings thats kinda what i was hoping to find out here.
    I see your point about bringing in large amounts of archers that normally wouldnt hunt here. Good point.

Default D.A.

I'll play Devils Advocate here just to keep discussion going. Let's assume that the moose population is solid enough to merit additions to the current season. Right now you folks hunt early, in the bugs, pre-rut, warm temps, but do have the distinct advantage of being first in the woods.
    Without looking at the hunt records and other information, I would assume success for bowhunters is low, somewhere around 5% to 10%. As I recall from past information, good moose areas produce about 30% success for open seasons, give or take a bit. Take a look at data from F&G, the Koyukuk and Nowitna hunts. They have been keeping data there a long time. Also check on Unit 20A, FMA drawing hunts.
    Your concern is that hunters could come from other areas to access the moose that you hunt. What is stopping them now? I am hearing that you may not advocate for yourselves because of what might happen?
    Build a proposal to the Advisory Committee with stringent controls. Make the late season a registration hunt. Successful hunters must notify F&G within "X" days at "X" location. Same with non-successful hunters at end of season Bulls of a specific size may be taken. Hunters must complete a shooting test prior to entering the field to hunt. Ok, you get the idea. Make it just a bit harder, but not too hard.
    The registration aspect gives F&G quick specific feedback to help manage the resource and population.
    Currently we get non-local hunters in the FMA hunting bow only moose. Big deal. I still have more chances than they do to access the area because I live here. Why would I not advocate for more opportunities for myself even if it means others might benefit also?
    If you read some of my earlier posts you will note that I have been prodding your neighbors in the Anchorage area to step up and play hardball to get back specialty hunts in their backyards.
    I am just getting myself into the political end of things so have much to learn. You can contact F&G in your area, find out what the process and timeline is for sending in proposals, contact your friends, and go to a meeting. I believe F&G will have info on upcoming Advisory Council meetings, dates, agendas, etc. Speak with your local biologist too to get feedback on populations and other aspects we may be missing.

AKRR, I just have a quick minute so don't take this post as though I feel accussed or offended.

"Your concern is that hunters could come from other areas to access the moose that you hunt."
    My concern isn't a selfish one over rubbing elbows with other hunters (although I'd love to have the place to myself), but a question of the herds ability to handle pressure.

"Hunters must complete a shooting test prior to entering the field to hunt. Ok, you get the idea. Make it just a bit harder, but not too hard. ".
    I think that's already required (at least a bow-ed card) for all "bow only" hunts.

You have some good ideas & points.

I've never been involved in the political end of things but I suppose I (we all) should.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default speculation

My last post was prefaced w/ the idea that the herd on the Kenai Peninsula was strong. That might be a mute point in that bow hunter success is typically low through out the state. The railroad and road kills possibly account for more dead animals than bow hunters do.
    I guess I should start a poll, but I will just ask some questions.
    -Is there anybody living and bow hunting on the KP that would like to have 2 separate bow only moose seasons?
    -Are there any archers in AK that would like Kenai to have 2 separate bow only moose seasons?
    One more question:
    -Why in the world would anybody want to give up something they already have when they might be able to keep it and add something new?
    As for my suggestions to aid in a proposal, they were just ideas. Vance is correct, we do already shoot for proficiency to obtain an IBEP card. My thought was would it be beneficial to make another more stringent test specifically for this hunt? What else might aid in getting a second season written in to next years reg book?

I am fairly new to bow hunting and I am already hooked for life. I would think that anyone in there right mind would love to have a longer bow season. Weather it was after the season or both before and after. I think I would prefer to hunt the late season hunt rather than the early season. But I would love the chance to have more hunting opportunities for bow only. But I think they need to get the brown bear population under control before they try to do anything else.

Default If you want a change, take some action-

We have a State Game Board which has not been overly responsive to bowhunters-
    If we want more bowhunting seasons, we have to bring pressure on the politicians who appoint the Board of Game members, and bowhunters have to testify at Board of Game meetings.
    The simplest route is to join the Alaska Bowhunters Association. They attend the meetings most of us don't have time for and represent bowhunters' interests-
    ABA has a website; membership is only $25/year.
    :}