Thread: can use meat donations

grizzeyes

Default can use meat donations

guys, im sorry to have to ask for help but being on a limited income with my lab having cancer, she seems to only want to eat meat that's cooked and not her dog food. Or she'll eat only a portion of her good canned food and i can't afford to continue buying chicken tenders and hamburger meat. if anyone has meat in their freezers from last year that they wouldn't want i could sure use some.

if i can keep my dog alive until nov 19th, she'll go to cali with me and i could bury her at our duck club. the ground here will be frozen soon. my dog would duck hunt right now if i were out there but just need to keep her as comfortable as possible. i already have some moose meat that someone is giving me. thanks and i appreciate all who wish to help.

If I were close enough to help, I would. I lost my aussie/lab to cancer just over 5 months ago and the wounds are still very fresh. I also had to cook every meal for him during his last couple weeks, to the point where I was only eating soup myself, so I feel for your position. I was fortunate to find a friend who donated a case of old canned salmon to my cause. I hope you are able to locate the same.

I did a lot of cancer research during that time and found a lot of good treatment info. Unfortunately, it was too late for my boy. I found out after the fact that immediate chemo would have given us at least a year with documented reports of remission lasting several years, but my former-vet didn't think this (or any other currently used and accepted medical treatment) was worthy of mentioning to me and I discovered it on my own after it was too late to start. If you haven't already found it, visit the following link for some good info on dog cancer. It is a commercial site and they are selling supplements, but it still has some good info.

http://www.dogcancer.net/

Default where do you live?

I get home this weeksend and IM sure I can dig up something. also what kind of canned dog food is it she likes?
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

grizzeyes

i have her eating merricks puppy plate and before that the cowboy cookout. i think i'll go back to the cowboy cookout. she's only been eating the meat i cook for her. I have the feeling maybe it's too runny for her. i remember when i was a kid our lab spike used to eat skippy. well, skippy is skippy but it's not gooey. i think my dog likes her food that's not so messy. guess she likes her chin wiskers to stay clean

joat, i'll check on that link. i have looked at 3 websites on cancer but i like what you said about going for chemo. even though we don't know which cancer it is, i'll make the call.

I applaud you for taking care of her.
    Most people don't put forth the effort. I treat all my dogs, even the ones that are temporary guest at my kennel, as if they were my kids.
    Dogs give you 100% even when they don't want too. It's nice to see folks that will return it back.

I too have some canned food.

Default Grizzeyes

Let me know where I can drop off some stuff. I think I have some deer. I have some canned dog food I bought for my wifes dog but she has it on a strict diet and only feeds it one kind of food.

Take care and God bless.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Grizz,

I have some folks who are wanting some frozen, vacuu packed rabbit I have from this and last year. If they dont come get it I will be happy to donate it to you. Be careful not to give her too much variety, in the fragile state she is in you could do more harm than good. Be sure she stays hydrated! I'll keep in touch and let you know what happens.

Debbie
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

If you know anyone traveling from Fairbanks I can help out. Let me know.

Default it says on page 21 of the regs

game taken under a hunting license may be used as dog food. except rabbits it sounds like could be legal. Just don't want anyone getting busted over some moose changing hands for dog food. Especially when you are posting it here for everybody to read. doesn't sound legal to me according to the regs. just be carefull.

sorry to hear about your dogs cancer. I am newly dog owner and even though people may not realize it. they do become your kid(s) essentually. Funny how much money and time we spend with these fury critters.

It appears the person requesting this has been banned from the site?

I typically butcher several moose a year and I cook the scraps and from the butchering and supplement dog food with it, they don't seem to mind some gristle, fat, blood, and sinew as long as I run it through the buffalo chopper. This makes a very nice hi protein supplement and uses every last scrap of the harvest. Most throw it away - I cook it, grind it, vacuum seal it, freeze it, and feed it to the dogs. In this case I was willing to share a little with someone in need. - My choice and legal according to the same regulations you read. The down side is when a dog isn't used to the food it can produce some room clearing, tail flapping gas.

Just for the record, these are domestic rabbits, not "hares". Legal or not, What I choose to do with the contents of my freezer is my problem.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"