Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snow depth at Donnely Dome?

Question Snow depth at Donnely Dome?

Has anyone been up that way in the past few days? Last Thursday there was only 6-8 inches, but I hear it has snowed in Delta since then. Just curious what I should expect and if we'll have problems on ATVs.

Smile are you slackin???

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    ...Just curious what I should expect and if we'll have problems on ATVs.
    What happened to them good ol' legs of yours Brian?

Good Luck up there this weekend!
    I may be heading up to the gun show this weekend. If you are back on Sunday and want help processing, let me know!

Default Add some

Add some Brian. I was returning from Fairbanks Monday night (as I was sick and could not work;D) and it was spitting steadly. But for me, in Valdez, 10-12" is what we call a dusting. Looked almost deep enough for snowgos.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Snow in Coal Mine

Went out coal mine road on monday and tuesday and there was anywhere from 18" to 24" depending on where we were. Still got around on wheelers since it was light and fluffy though. Did get down to 6 degrees tuesday morning though so dress warm.

Default Snowmachine

We used a snowmachine to recover a couple of moose from Donley Dome last weekend. I think you can still pull it off with a wheeler, but a lot can change in a week.

Quote Originally Posted by BucknRut View Post
    What happened to them good ol' legs of yours Brian?
    No slacking, my friend. I'm taking my 62 year old mother, my sister who just finished chemotherapy, and my wife to hopefully get three moose. I think an atv or two can be justified.

Well....my brother is actually taking two of them out tomorrow as well, but there may still be a crew of us when the wife and I get there on Saturday morning. I'll let you know how it goes.

Where are you staying when you're up here, Josh? The previous offer still stands.

Default How many moose do you need?

Three moose ??? Wow.

Default hey brian

I'll be up there on Sat. We have 3 798 permits to fill and 3 799 to fill! Going to work on my daugthers 798 first and probably mine since we will be together and then will go after the 799 on Sunday. THen will come back up to help my brother in law and my 2 nephews the following week with the 798 and 2 799 permits. Should be fun! WIll be taking 2 6 wheelers for now.

Good luck!

Best bring some long johns for the brass monkey.....a few degrees below zero this morning....

Snowing here right now. Might be fun going thru the pass. Headed up to help tomorrow. I've heard it's not snowing in Delta. Chance of snow tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Skrat View Post
    Three moose ??? Wow.
    Me? I need one. My sister has three children and another single mother with a daughter living with them, so they need at least one as well (and she hasn't worked much in over a year due to nearly constant cancer treatment, much of it out of state). My mother and father need most of one, and will share the rest with my sister. We will also likely give some to my brother's family too.

We're talking about four households here, Skrat. I'm not getting greedy with the moose, but am just trying to help some others fill their freezers. So far this year I have been a part of taking 3 different animals (two caribou and one moose), and not a single one of them has gone in my freezer.

Dang Brian, how many times now have you had to defend yourself? Everyone needs to back off when someone says they're going after or have gotten more than one moose. A lot of us here like to help others.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Headed up to help tomorrow. I've heard it's not snowing in Delta. Chance of snow tomorrow.
    What time are you leaving Glennallen? We're staying at the Caribou Hotel tonight and will likely be heading out sometime around 6:30 or so. I'm more of a tent fellow myself, but with my wife and nephew along and sub-freezing temperatures, I figured it was time to spring for a heated room.

As for defending taking multiple animals, I don't really mind. It comes with the territory, I suppose.

You're headed this way at 6:30 tonight? A friend headed into town this morning and will be back tonight. I'll post a road report (Glenn) later. I might leave here late tonight to hopefully avoid traffic with the fresh snow on the road. We want to get out in the field at daylight on Saturday. We'll have a Polaris Ranger and 2 six wheelers between the 6 of us. Looks like the snow stopped here. Not quite 2 inches of fluff.

No, I mean we'll be leaving Glennallen at 6:30 or so in the morning. I want to be there at first light as well, but my wife and I have had absolutely exhausting weeks and need to get a full night of rest. We'll be leaving home around 5:00 this evening, hopefully in Glennallen by 10:00 at the latest..

Default Glenn Hwy

Snow on the road from the Eureka area to Glennallen. Not too bad this afternoon, but still slick at this end. Expect the same from here to Isabel. The construction is messed up. A friend got stuck for about an hour both ways today. Sometimes it's an hour and others it's just 10 minutes. Everyone drive safe!

Default Family Food

Good to hear the moose will be well used! I kept seeing all these "GOT THREE TAGS TO FILL" and was thinking wow, that's a lot of moose! :-) I've seen some just kill for the sake of killing and then give the meat away and I know that's not your case Brian but that kind of stuff irks me (even though it's legal, etc., etc.). Anyhow! ... so I know some have been using snowmachines a little bit in the area but still there isn't a lot of snow cover down. For those of you that have used sleds, was it a royal pain or was there enough snow for you to be mobile for your needs without willow thumping the whole time?

There's no Holiday Inn in Delta?

Very little snow since I was last there, still better conditions for an ATV instead of a snowmachine.

We filled 2 of the 3 tags this morning within 10 minutes and 300 yards of each other. I may take my sister up again in a few weeks, but for now two moose means a couple of days of cutting and wrapping.

Default I want snow!

Darn. I really want some snow.
    Wow, two moose???!!
    haha
    Nice going. How big on average would you say they were (thinking amount of meat to put up)?
    Thanks for the report. Wish for 2 feet of snow will ya? ha!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast