Thread: Grumman or Smoker Craft

Default Grumman or Smoker Craft

I'm in the market to pick up an aluminum canoe 16-17'. Any recommendations on the virtues of either Grumman or Smoker Craft as a brand.

Default canoe

go for the grumman it is a better canoe you get what you pay for
    SID

ok thanks. Not knowing anything about smoker craft, I appreciate the knowledge.

Default Get a Sea Sport.

A 27' Sea sportis what you need. Let me know when you get one and I'll teach you how to run it.

Go for Grumman.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Default Grumman or Smokercraft?

My question is...why an aluminum canoe? Are you after a square stern or a double ender? For a non-motorized canoe, aluminum is a poor choice compared to the quality plastic canoes, which are lighter, usually have better hydro-dynamic shapes for paddling, which can't be replicated in aluminum, are more quiet, warmer to touch, etc. If for square stern, motorized use, aluminum is prefered for toughness and stiffness. I use a 19' Grumman sq stern with a lift and motor and am happy with it. For paddling, I have a 16' "Royalex" canoe made by Wenonah.

So it depends on what you are actually intending to do with your canoe.

Thumbs up good info

perfect Rick..
    you have it figured out for sure..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default Alumicraft is another choice.

Quote Originally Posted by alderwillow View Post
    I'm in the market to pick up an aluminum canoe 16-17'. Any recommendations on the virtues of either Grumman or Smoker Craft as a brand.
    I have been using a 17' hourglass stern Alumicraft canoe for more than twenty years. I have fished it, moose hunted out of it, duck hunted out of it and camped with it. It loads on the truck carrier well, paddles great and handles chop well too. Very stable. I used to run a 4hp Johnson on it, which was great, but a 6hp was too big, and threw water.

The only scar on the craft is where my buddy blew a hole in the side with his hair trigger 20 gu. side-by-side many years ago. I patched that up and though it looks like crap, it functions well.

It will do a little riffle running, but it is primarily a lake canoe due to its full length keel. If you get a transom canoe, I recommend the hourglass style, as it can take a bit of a following wave without battering. More maneuverable too when back paddling away from the shore.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    My question is...why an aluminum canoe? Are you after a square stern or a double ender? For a non-motorized canoe, aluminum is a poor choice compared to the quality plastic canoes, which are lighter, usually have better hydro-dynamic shapes for paddling, which can't be replicated in aluminum, are more quiet, warmer to touch, etc. If for square stern, motorized use, aluminum is prefered for toughness and stiffness. I use a 19' Grumman sq stern with a lift and motor and am happy with it. For paddling, I have a 16' "Royalex" canoe made by Wenonah.

So it depends on what you are actually intending to do with your canoe.
    I always thought alu was the best/toughest all around for the money. I'd like to use it for moose hunting. I have a budget of $300 for next season for a used canoe, so I thought that an aluminum would be a good call. I liked the "side keels/flat bottom" that I saw on a smoker craft. It looked like it would be good and stable. Thanks for everyone's ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by alderwillow View Post
    I have a 17 foot double ender grumman for sale. shoot me an email nate@e-oasis.com if you are interested....