Thread: springers?

Default springers?

anyone know of any springer spanial pups or started dogs around?

Default Springers,

aside from my wife and kids they've been the love of my life.

We've had 4 over the past 30 years, but currently without. Good luck on your search, haven't heard of any in our area.

kingfisherktn

I know there are some nice ones here. I don't know what the puppy picture is like, but they are active the Arctic Bird Dog Club.

http://www.arcticbirddog.com/

They should be able to help get you a line on one.

Default thanks

thanks for the info, we got one from down in mn, and he is tearin it up, so i think we need another

Default springers

Saw some in the Fairbanks newspaper the other day, purebred pups with papers for $400 I think. You can check the classifieds online........

Default How much of a hurry are you in?

I know it is hard to find Springers in Alaska, i didnt search extremely hard, but always had my eyes open for a couple of years and finally found one this spring in kasilof. She is papered and akc registered. If you can hold out long enough and if i can find a good male to bread her with i was planning on letting her have a litter next year. Although i need to do some research as im not a breeder and dont know how old she should be before i let her breed. Anyway here is a picture of her and i must say she is an impressive pup. Loves to swim and has a nose like no other dog ive ever had.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm in the same boat 0 for 5 trips this year on grouse shure would be nice to have a 4 legged friend with a nose to help out. I looked up the Alaska Kennel Club website and they list 2 breeders for springers with contact info. If you call them post up if any are expecting a litter or have pups for sale.
    http://www.alaskakennelclub.org/bree...l.htm#SAMOYEDS

Are you sure you want to breed? Before you do, ask yourself why? What are you trying to produce? Do tons of homework -- the English Springer Spaniel Field Trial Association website (http://www.essfta.com/index.htm) is one place to start, talk to your veterinarian & understand the pros/cons. They have a page listing major health issues affecting the breed at http://www.essfta.com/essfta/health_research.htm

Study pedigrees, working abilities, trainability, temperaments, soundness (physical & mental), and realize the fact that AKC is just a registry & nothing more -- AKC registration does not equal quality. Has your female had OFA, CERF & the proper health clearances; does she fit the breed standard; does she have qualities that you're trying to continue & others improve upon; do you have the time & money to devote to puppies; are you willing to be responsible for these puppies for life ...

Please, please know that I'm really not trying to sound snobbish or snotty, but if you do decide to breed, do so for a purpose. Just producing pups isn't enough. Sorry to get on the soap box!!

Karen

Default good springer contact

I sent you a PM with the name of a good contact in Anchorage. He has quality dogs and is very active with them.

Default Burke,

could I get that contact as well?

thanks

kingfisherktn

Very well stated Karen! I couldnt have agreed more. There are so many purebred dogs that end up in shelters and many more that I had put to sleep as a euthanasia tech. Reputable breeders stand behind their dogs and are ready to take them back at any point in that dogs life, No questions asked. lv4bowfishing, there is alot more then just putting two dogs together and hoping you have a litter. There are so many poorly bred dogs in Alaska, caused by the lack of knowledge. Do you know what faults your dog has? Do you know what you want to improve upon her? Would you know how to pick out a suitable stud dog without doubling up on a fault? Personality & looks, dont cut it.

Also, I'd like to add that its not a wise decision to be in a hurry to breed your *****. Its always wise to wait until they are two and have passed their health clearances. If you need help in that department I'd be happy to pass on the information I have on it, as well as great vet's in the anchorage area.

Hope this helps! We certainly arent picking on you, dont take it that way. Its called responsible breeding and making sure your pups have the best start in life they can possibly get.

Take care

Debbie

PS. One other thing, your responsibility as the breeder of this litter doesn't stop when they walk out the door. Reputable breeders require spay or neuter of any pet pups they put out as well as limited registration. Hopefully you would have done your homework before the pups were conceived. You would want the same of your puppy owners. Education is the key, what you learn here can certainly be passed on to your puppy owners.

Quote Originally Posted by 3CBRS View Post
    Are you sure you want to breed? Before you do, ask yourself why? What are you trying to produce? Do tons of homework -- the English Springer Spaniel Field Trial Association website (http://www.essfta.com/index.htm) is one place to start, talk to your veterinarian & understand the pros/cons. They have a page listing major health issues affecting the breed at http://www.essfta.com/essfta/health_research.htm

Study pedigrees, working abilities, trainability, temperaments, soundness (physical & mental), and realize the fact that AKC is just a registry & nothing more -- AKC registration does not equal quality. Has your female had OFA, CERF & the proper health clearances; does she fit the breed standard; does she have qualities that you're trying to continue & others improve upon; do you have the time & money to devote to puppies; are you willing to be responsible for these puppies for life ...

Please, please know that I'm really not trying to sound snobbish or snotty, but if you do decide to breed, do so for a purpose. Just producing pups isn't enough. Sorry to get on the soap box!!

Karen
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"