Thread: First animal trapping

Default First animal trapping

Monday after work i went and set a foot hold on a well used beaver slide. When I went and checked it that morning, before work I had a really nice beaver in the trap. It was my first set and my first time trapping. I think that I got lucky, but never the less I didn't get skunked this year.
    I don't think that I have ever been that excited. When I got down to where the set was I seen that the trap was gone and the chain was tight. When I pulled up the trap there was a beaver on the end in my drowner set.
    I skinned it out that night and put it in the freezer till I can flesh it. I have heard that is a great time and it will take a while for a beaver. I'm hooked now on trapping.

Default sweet

I caint wait to start. Im also going to be doing it for the first time this winter. Want to get the kids out and teach them about trapping. They love to fish and hunt. Glad to hear you had some luck.
    What unit were you in if you dont mind tellin?
    Anyway good job and may you continue the luck through the winter.
    Safe journeys
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Go get those beaver out of the water treatment pond.

Default That would be some nasty beaver

Just think of the smell that beaver would have.
    Nasty beaver
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Woooohooooo, good on ya!

My first ever was a big fat greasy coon.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

My first was a skunk when I was 8 or 9, we had quite a battle. I finally won but not before he inflicted odorous injury.

Default my first was a family of 4 wild pigs in west texas

Man, I was on a nice ranch my buddies leased and we set their huge hog trap....about 12 that night, we were in the bunk trailer and man, we heard a commotion like you never heard before!...pigs squeling, ramming into things and it was like 2 miles off!...then i remembered, we had set the trap...

we loadedup on the 4 wheeler and go there and had a 175 sow, a 275 lb boar and two piglets!....they were ramming and thrashing, it was awesome!...i shot the big boar witha 357 in the back fo the head, he went down, and got back up PO'd!...ramming the cage...we could not believe it!...i shot him again in the back of hte head and he went down for 1o secs, and got back up...my respect for teh 357 went way down!...it took the third shot to put him down!...

well, this land was tough, rocky, west texas and i was use to the tender east texas pigs!...well, when i skinned him, the hide stood straight up!...like the rib cage was in it1...that thing had a thick armor or cartlidge that ran the length of his rib cage...i had heard about it, but, never seen it in east texas where i hunted!....it was also late winter, so, they were full of grass alone and smelled great!...that was the best pork!....well, next to teh 50 lb piglets that i shot in a mans sweet potatoe field!....hehehe, they were awesome!...

well, i sure miss texas nad hunting the pigs with dogs....i wish i knew someone here that hunted the black bear with dogs!...i'd love to get into that...
    Scotty in the AK bush

My first was Muskrats at 9 year old, and we were getting $5-6 a piece for them. I ended up with 12 out of a pond on my Dad's farm. My cousin who was helping me at the time got over 200 that year. I thought he was rich at the time, beavers were getting about $30 at that time but Muskrats were easy pickin's. (this was in Montana)