Thread: Waders necessary for Black Bear hunting?

Default Waders necessary for Black Bear hunting?

A few of us are headed to Kuiu Island next year for black bear.

My buddy feels it's imperative that we all buy waders to take with us to keep us dry while crossing water.

I think most of the rivers will be too large or fast moving for us to walk through and having waders will give a false sense of security.

Anyone? Is it useful to take along waders or will it be a waste of space?

Feel free to pass along your ideas, thought, and experiences.

KRS

xtra tuffs or muckboots are a must.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Waders

Waders can be very useful in SE, I've never been to Kuiu but I doubt if it's much different than POW or the Ketchikan area. You could have a lot of small streams to deal with if your beach hunting and you are right about the false sense of security. You just have to use good judgement. I would tend to use my light weight chest waders more than anything if I know the lay of the land and if it includes water crossings. My beach hunting this fall I was able to use just my xtra-tuffs with a few place challenging those knee heights.

kingfisherktn

Quote Originally Posted by KRS View Post
    A few of us are headed to Kuiu Island next year for black bear.

My buddy feels it's imperative that we all buy waders to take with us to keep us dry while crossing water.

I think most of the rivers will be too large or fast moving for us to walk through and having waders will give a false sense of security.

Anyone? Is it useful to take along waders or will it be a waste of space?

Feel free to pass along your ideas, thought, and experiences.

KRS

They are deadly for putting the sneak on the unsuspecting bear hanging next to a lake.

Default been there

I've been there and they sure help but aren't really neccesary if you're spotting from a boat. I kept a pair in the boat while there just in case though that tide moves super fast, we almost got stranded once...

Default My take on waders

Waders are an essential for hunting in Alaska. If you have the weight allowance. Waders not only allow you to keep dry while crossing streams, they also keep you dry while it is raining and while walking through wet grass etc. It rains all of the time and the waders are great. I did a 5 day boat (21 ft. woolridge) based black bear hunt out of PWS and I lived in my waders. I use the wadelite breathables. The breathables also keep me warm. My waders are very comfortable. I usually only wear a pair of fleece underwear under my waders. The felt shoes are excellent for crossing any type of slippery rock. Felt waders are not the best for steep terrain. Add a HH Impertech rainjacket and you can take any water mother nature can dish out.
    Hope this helps.

we basically live in lightweight chest waders with stocking foot wearing a good hiking boot 1 size larger than normal for moose season and brwn bear season. Great for keeping dry without getting soaked sweating. Great ankle support, traction, comfort with real boots for all that walking(running) stalks.

Default Waders

For me I always seem to have to cross water at some point in the stalk. Hard to go wrong with waders and HH. Get something you can walk in. This I know, get wet and your hunt is over or you will want to be some place else as soon as the cold sets in. Stay dry and stay in the hunt. It cost a small fortune to get to a place to hunt. Spend a little to be warm and dry while your there. Trust me.

Steve

Excellent info guys, and a great picture!

I think I'll go for ultralight waders with the bootie.

Do you wear regular hiking boots over them or a lighter weight (Hi-Tec) style boot?

I have weak ankles, so I like some ankle support. You could wear running shoes if you want. What ever you are comfortable with, just get em a size larger.

Default Breathable Waders

I second (or third) the recommendation for breathable waders. I have some LL Bean wading boots that provide great ankle support. In essence, they are hiking boots made into wading boots. Anyhow, as posted earlier, I wear something very light underneath and use them as "permanent" wading pants and then throw my HH wading jacket over them during downpours. The only improvement next year -- an old soldier's trick of throwing a very light pair of fleece (or other soft pants) over them to quiet them during a stalk (like done over gore-tex for the same reason). Did the noise hurt me this year? Nope, but I hate that "zip, zip" sound when hitting the brush.

David

Alaska is extremely wet whether rain, streams, rivers, or bogs. You will regret not having at least hip waders if not chest waders available during your hunt. I am not familiar with the specific area you plan to hunt but most non glacial fed rivers are passable by a shallow area to cross.