Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaskan Adventure Tours

Default Alaskan Adventure Tours

has anyone been hunting with Alaskan Adventure tours? I would like some back ground on his hunting operation.

Default Darren Byler

Dan,

Check through the archives. This is Darren Byler's operation; and it has been discussed here in the past. Several folks here have hunted with him and could offer you some insights on his operation. Look a few of them up and send them a private message for the whole story.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I have stories on both companies. A friend just came back from the one with Darrin and I killed a grizz wth Rocky.
    call me 954 605 9774 not rummers but within 2 weeks of us both being back. one is great and the other should be out of bussiness.

Default Byler

I went on a spring black bear hunt with him this year and loved it! Darren was very nice and his guides were knowledgeable! We saw bears everywhere! All 5 hunters got bears that squared over 6 foot, and we all had fun. I would recommend Alaskan Adventure Tours! PM me with any questions.

Well things have changed since the spring. He now drops you on a sand bar for four days with no fresh water and only freezed dry food. You have no way of contacting anyone at base camp if something was to go wrong.He has lost his booth at the SCI Show in Reno and is under investigation with the AG of Alaska. I would say buyer beware.

Default Long but interesting reading on the subject

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Amazing article. Thanks for sharing the link. When I see him on TV I will watch with a different view.

(edited), i'd stay away if I were you.
    Last edited by Brian M; 11-08-2007 at 17:27. Reason: negative comment about business

find some online hunt reports, those are a good read too!! at least if you haven't paid him money.(edited)
    Last edited by Brian M; 11-08-2007 at 17:27. Reason: negative comment about business
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Check out the reports on THE HUNTING REPORT. There is four or five from the last 12 months about his bear hunts.

I don't know how many of you guys have hunted with Byler, but I have. Everyone on our hunt had a great time hunting, fishing, and hanging out. I felt safe in the field with his guides and felt like I was being taken care of the whole trip. Darren stuck to his guns about the rules. He went over what we should do and what we shouldn't, and breaking the safety rules would be unacceptable. None of us deviated from what was expected and we all had a great time! We saw many bears, black and brown, and we all got our bears and had fun. I think Darren does not like it when hunters come in and try to tell him how to hunt and what to do. Good clients never guide the guide. If you follow the rules you will have an excellent time! If I could do it again, I would still go with Alaskan Adventure Tours.

Default however

Quote Originally Posted by jones View Post
    I don't know how many of you guys have hunted with Byler, but I have. Everyone on our hunt had a great time hunting, fishing, and hanging out. I felt safe in the field with his guides and felt like I was being taken care of the whole trip. Darren stuck to his guns about the rules. He went over what we should do and what we shouldn't, and breaking the safety rules would be unacceptable. None of us deviated from what was expected and we all had a great time! We saw many bears, black and brown, and we all got our bears and had fun. I think Darren does not like it when hunters come in and try to tell him how to hunt and what to do. Good clients never guide the guide. If you follow the rules you will have an excellent time! If I could do it again, I would still go with Alaskan Adventure Tours.
    Jones,

I understand what you are saying about a guide having a hunter come in and tell him how to hunt. In my opinion, I believe part of what makes a great guide is one that is willing to compromise with the hunter. Maybe do it the hunters way if that is what he really wants as long as it does not break any rules or laws and is safe. I am not saying that hunters should go in and tell a guide what to do, as I feel that the guide is or should be the expert and the hunter should listen to the guide, but some hunters do just that.

jones, none of us are bummed you had a great trip, for sure thats awesome. (edited) i've guided for outfitters who have him in their area and seen his ethics and how he treats the guides around him and that speaks more to me than a how he treats a guy handing him a check. heard what he said at the BOG meeting and how some answers contradicted what he said. It just seems like a risk, you took it and came out on top, ALOT of other hunters took the risk and did not.
    charachter is who we are when no ones looking...?
    Last edited by Brian M; 11-08-2007 at 17:26. Reason: negative comment about business
    Master guide 212

Default You Were a Lucky One...

Quote Originally Posted by jones View Post
    Hmmmm....perhaps you should read the link that DaveintheBush posted above, several hunters did not have the same experience you had, and alot of other confrontations occurred as well.

And just one other point - blindly following a guide is a recipe for getting yourself in a lot of trouble, if that guide isn't operating within the law themselves. Not saying Darren did that, just commenting on your "do what the guide says" generalization.

Michael

Please note - If you have negative comments about a business, please just mention that you have information to share and invite people to send you a PM. Specific negative information about individuals and businesses is not permitted.

oops. forgot about that, this guys name is so common in here in this topic i thought it was just common knowledge by now. i've heard the foods good....?!
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    Hmmmm....perhaps you should read the link that DaveintheBush posted above, several hunters did not have the same experience you had, and alot of other confrontations occurred as well.

And just one other point - blindly following a guide is a recipe for getting yourself in a lot of trouble, if that guide isn't operating within the law themselves. Not saying Darren did that, just commenting on your "do what the guide says" generalization.

Michael
    This was only my second bear hunt and first time to Alaska, so I trusted that the guide knew more about Alaskan bear hunting than I did. I did do quite a bit of research and reading about bears in Alaska, but I did not know first hand how they acted. That is why I trusted the guide, and I did not question his leadership. I was fully aware of all of the laws and regulations, and none were broken.
    I feel bad that some people did not have a good time hunting with Darren, but usually the negative comments are the ones you hear. There are plenty of positive experiences that can be associated with Alaskan Adventure Tours, and mine is just one. Generally, if you have a good time you do not spread it on the internet. Online is a good place to complain and spread rumors!
    jones

Saying he has an anger problem is talking negatively about him? It's the truth and you can see it in the report that DITB posted. You guys are way to quick with the edit button but hey, it's your forum so do what you want. If we can't post the truth then why post at all.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    If we can't post the truth then why post at all.
    Do you really believe that we don't allow people to post the truth?

David Johnson has built this site into a great resource for people who are seeking information on hunting and fishing in Alaska. A lot of good reviews have been shared, and warnings have as well. We just ask that those warnings are shared via the PM system so that David is not left open to the threat of litigation. Additionally, we cannot possibly fact-check all negative reports, and it would not be right to let comments stand that we cannot verify first-hand.

I really don't think this is an unreasonable expectation. "Why post at all??? Well....I can think of lots of good reasons.

Who am I going to send pm's too Brian?? Every member on this website? I mean really, what I said was not derogatory, it was just an observation of mine. I know what I say here isn't going to change a thing so I'll try and stay out of this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast