Thread: DIY Cold Bay Bear Hunt

Default DIY Cold Bay Bear Hunt

Just got back from a great hunt in Cold Bay for brown bears.This is a registration hunt with the hunt closing as soon as two bears are taken,or so we thought.This is my third and my partners second time going.We each have taken some eight foot plus bears and was hoping to shoot something bigger this time.USUALLY there are just us and a hand full of locals that par-take in this hunt and knowing exactly where to hunt we were pretty excited when we got off the plane.Well,after dropping off our gear and locating a vehicle we headed up to Fish & Feathers to sign up for the hunt.To our surprise,we found that several people signed up also.There is several construction projects going on so there was alot more people in town signing up for the hunt.Being that we have been there before we decided to stick to our game plan except maybe not to be TOO selective on our bears for fear of the hunt closing.Opening day was Oct 1st and the weather was horrible!Sideways rain with gusts over 70 mph.We had a two mile hike up and over a small mountain that would put us on some good glassing.We had to head into the wind and would have to turn around just to breath.We peaked the top right at daylight just in time to see a nine footer plus go into some alders below on the valley floor.I look out further and right away see another bear that looked to be a shooter.

After ranging this bear at 619 yards I quickly scooted down one alder patch at a time untill I was now down on the floor level with my bear.The bear was sitting ther facing me with the wind howling but I had to get closer as I was now at 379 yards.I'm using my .416 Rem with 300 grain Barnes tsx and already had myself convinced that I would not shoot over 250 yards.I did the belly crawl for what seemed like an hour but was only 15 minutes.Last check with the range finder and I'm at 219 and the bear is looking like it spotted me and was lifting his head higher to try to ge a better look when I decided now is the time and I let him have it.He rolled over with feet in the air but then sat up and looked up at me again.I gave him another shot and ended up hitting him right thru the ear's and it was all over.My partner ran down the rest of the way from the hill and said,"nice job,now lets got get my bear!"He pointed out past my bear and I see a big dark blob sitting on the tundra about 1/2 mile away.We dropped to the ground and started the belly thing again and finally we got to 189 yards and he started filling him up with lead from his .300.The first shot ended up hitting him in the rear and he roared,turned around in a flash and started chasing his tail in a circle.I let him have a 300 grain and that rolled him but he got up and started the death run away from us.We ran after him then suddenly we dropped to the tundra and started throwing everything we had.Ended up hitting him 6 times before the bear FINALLY gave up!

Some more pics from cold bay.

Congrats man, thats awesome!

Default Nice!

Congrats Trailblazer!

Looks like you had an awesome hunt! Congrats on your bears!

Awesome, I always love to read a good bear hunt story.