Thread: 300 win mag bullet

Default 300 win mag bullet

Not knowing a lot about differences in shells. What would you shoot in a 300 win mag.? What are the differences between accubonds, partitions, boattails, fail safe? Anything you can help me with is greatly appreciated.

What do you plan on shooting?

I have shot game with 165 sierra bt, 165 speer boattail, 200 barnes TSX, 180 nosler ballistic tip, 200 partition,180 fail safe, 150 speer spitzer. All out of the 300 win mag. I am shooting 180 barnes mrx bullets in my 300 wsm (havent shot anything with it yet).

Do you reload or are you looking at factory ammo?

You can also check out the manufacturers web sites.

I shoot moose exclusively with the Winchester Supreme CXP3's in 180g. I have yet to try out the Elites with the polymer tip, which should hold better velocity and ballistics downrange.
    Soft points flatten out after one shot, and more so after the 2nd one. They do well for sighting in though.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Quote Originally Posted by [B
    iluvatar[/B]] What are the differences between accubonds, partitions, boattails, fail safe? Anything you can help me with is greatly appreciated.

Accubond-a bonded boattail polymere tipped bullet-a compromise between a flat shooting aerodynamic bullet and a tough controlled expansion(deep penetrating) bullet

Partition-a bullet with a soft expanding nose with a hard wall separating the back part of the bullet in order to stop expansion and enable deeper penetration

Boattail-an aft bullet design which usually increases bullet aerodynamics, which decreases wind drift and velocity loss down range

Failsafe-a bullet which used to be manufactured, that was made of gilding metal and offered controlled expansion and very deep penetration, with many times the expense of increased barrel foul and decreased accuracy

Murphy is best to answer for which is best for what-experience talks best
    Plus I enjoy his posts.

Thumbs up Reload

I have a buddy that reloads, and said he would do some different loads for me to try.
    Thanks for the info.

There's more whoop floating around about bullets than talk about Chevy, Ford and Dodge in a NASCAR grandstand. Most guys make their case on a few kills at most, and what their uncle's next door neighbor's son's babysitter told them.

Most manufacturers (the honest ones anyway) will publish recommended velocity spans and species for their bullets. I'd start there, because that's going to give you an idea how it will perform at close and long range in the velocities you will be launching the bullet- as determined by the people who tested and built the things in their first place. No bullet is ideal for all uses and ranges, no matter whether the pusher's hat says Chevy, Dodge or Ford.

With that info in hand, pick three or four that meet your criteria for range and species, then test them to see which shoots best in your rifle. Any of the three or four are likely to do fine, and meanwhile you will be pushing 200 shots or so down the barrel. Shots down the barrel will be most important in the end, because your marksmanship and confidence are going to have more to do with performance than the brand on the box.