Thread: WSM dont feed well?

Question WSM dont feed well?

I'm getting a new rifle for some of my upcoming adventures. Decided on the SAKO 85 gray wolf. Was going to get the .300 WSM, but now heard from a guy in Tok that none of the short mags feed well. That's the first I have heard of anything like that. I kind of wonder if he was trying to sell something that he had on the shelf, so I thought I would ask around. Anybody had problems in push feed guns with the short mags? Anybody ever heard this rumor before? Thanks, Charlie.
    You know you aren't really having fun until you ask yourself -how much is this going to cost me?

I have 3 Sako 75s in shortmags that feed flawlessly have bought relitives presents of one tikka in 270wsm one Browning Abolt 270WSM and a Howa in 300WSM all feed flawlessly.

I don't own any short mags now, but I did have two 300 WSM and one 270 WSM. Feeding was never an issue with any of them. All three of them were model 70's, too.

I had a 300 WSM in remington 700 that wouldn't feed for anything. It was terrible. I currently shoot a kimber montana in 325 WSM that feeds flawlessly. I think if you stick with the rifles designed for the short mag you won't have any trouble at all. I don't think the remington 700 was ever meant to house the Short mags but was stuffed in as an afterthought and thats why it doesn't feed worth beans. All the winchesters, kimbers, and brownings I have seen feed great. I don't have any experience with the ruger but am willing to bet it will feed fine.

My Kimber Montana 300WSM feeds as slick as butter. Shoots pretty good too. Shes 2-2 so far this year.

My Browning 325wsm A-bolt II feeds as slick as any rifle I have handled. Still love the 60* bolt!

I have a mod 70 classic that feeds just fine as long as I only put two in the mag. I cant get the bolt closed if there are three in the mag.

In similar rifles, the WSM will never feed as SMOOTHLY as a cartridge with a gentler shoulder [300WSM vs. 300 H&H].....I have two Kimber WSMs and they function well.....just not as smoothly as my pre64 70s in 270 or 375.

I've got a 700 in 300 WSM, and it feeds as slick as my Enfield 375 ICL does.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

mnbirddog
    I think there must be something to the rumor.

According to searches I made some time ago on Short Mags.org, before they sorta faded away, some people had problems with feeding the Short Mags.

I have also seen quite a few posts on the various forums of pressure signs with factory loads. They, (the factory loads) are loaded to higher pressures than most other cartridges.

I think that only 1 or 2 of the WSMs will last. If so, my guess would be the 300 WSM and 325 WSM, but possibly the 270 WSM also. Who knows? I donít have high hopes for any of the Rem. SAUMs. Just my WAG.

I wouldnít buy a rifle chambered for a Short Mag myself, because I donít see where they offer any real advantages, BUT If I did Iíd lay in a lot of brass to assure Iíd have something to shoot.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I am/was banking on the 300 wsm lasting. Lots of factory ammo (and not expensive), and almost every rifle out there has at least one chambering option in the 300 wsm. And MANY more people seem to be buying them than others like the 300 RUM, RSAUM, and the 300 Wby. The rifle is a little lighter and the bullet is a little hotter than the 300 win mag. That's kinda what made me think that is the way to go. Unless there are other issues (like this one) that I was unaware of.
    You know you aren't really having fun until you ask yourself -how much is this going to cost me?

I can add a couple of comments that may help you with your decision. I was looking to build up a reasonably lightweight rifle and had two in my safe to pick from.
    Both were Win 70's, one was in 30-06 and the other was a 300 WSM. I ran dummy rounds through both to check for feeding and both cycled and ejected the ammo well. I then took both barreled actions to a certified scale and weighed them. The 300 WSM barreled action weighed 5 ounces less and each had the same basic size and length barrel. I decided on using the WSM and added a nice McMillan Edge stock to it.
    The WSM is (in my opinion) the only one to consider as the other short mags such as the Remington are fading fast.
    Tennessee

I remember researching this and I seem to remember it being an issue with a specific rifle. Not wsm's in general. I have a Kimber 325wsm and it works great. I love that nice little light 7lb 8mm short mag. Kicks less than my ol ruger 06.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default 300wsm

I have a left handed Browning Abolt II 300wsm and it will feed as fast as you can work the bolt.

I have heard of this but only in Remington rifles for some reason. I have been told that instead of starting over and making a true WSM action,they took their SAUM action (which is a bit shorter) and modified it too accept the WSM OAL. I would think that all Winchester and Browning rifles would be good to go, after all, they were the ones that developed the cartridge.Hope this helps.

Tim
    If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
    If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier.

Everything I'm hearing from this, another forum, and talking to people and cycling guns that others have in this chambering (though no SAKO 85's) I am convinced I will have no problems. Thanks guys. 300 wsm it is!

I have 3 WSM's and all three feed flawlessly. 300 WSM and 7mm WSM are Win Model 70 Classics and the 270 WSM (my favorite) is a Tikka. All feed and shoot superbly.

I was at the range this spring and spoke to a fellow with a Kimber in 300 WSM and it didn't feed from the day he bought it. He sent it back to Kimber and they polished the feed ramp. He took it to the range when he got it back (the day I met him) and had the same problem...still wouldn't feed. The rounds got hung at about a 45* angle coming off of the feed ramp. I also met a guy with a Kimber in 308 that had issues. It wouldn't feed rounds reliably. He invited me to take a couple shots and it happened to me. As I looked at the rifle with an odd gaze after attempting to chamber a round, he asked "Did that thing fail to feed again?" At which point I said "yes" and handed him back his rifle. I don't think this is indicative of Kimber rifles but in connection with the other comments of different brands of rifles failing to feed correctly, it may be an issue, just not exclusive to short mags.