Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What gun do you use

Default What gun do you use

For black bears , deer, moose, brown bear, elk, caribou... etc

I have two identical Mauser Model 3000 in different calibers. One is a 7mm Rem Mag and the other is a .375H&H. I use the 7mm for everything unless the possibility of a grizzly/brown in in the mix, then I take the .375. Having the rifles identical makes me more comfortable with both.

I use a 375 H&H for everything, 270 grain bullets for animals that don't bite, 300 grain for those that do.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    What gun do you use.....
    ....For black bears , deer, moose, brown bear, elk, caribou... etc
    Depends on the terrain hunted.

For open, alpine or tundra hunting, I use a 300 WinMag with a 3x9 Shepherd scope, 200 grain premium bullets.

For treestands or other forest hunting, I use a 338 WinMag with a 2.75x Burris Scout Scope.

Default Rifle

I primarily use my M97 330Dakota w/ Brown Prec. fiberglass stock and a 1.5-5x Leupold.

If I am going moose or brown bear hunting I take my Chapuis Double in 9,3rx75.
    Deer on Kodiak I take my 338WM. Caribou I take whatever is sighted in. I usually have a large bore revolver in camp which I will carry on occasions and leave the rifle in the tent.
    Tennessee

Thumbs up

Winchester M70, SS, Dura Touch , 300 WSM topped with a Nikon buckmaster 3x9x40 shooting 180 Interbonds for everything.

md

375UM for everything except for caribou and sheep I use a 300WM.

Default Well

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    For black bears , deer, moose, brown bear, elk, caribou... etc
    First Fishwacker I know that you are fairly young but do not know your size. Many are going to suggest a .338 or .375 to handle the entire list that you specified. And they are correct. But can you handle either calibers recoil?

If I had a son starting out in Alaska I would probably give him a 30/06 to start. You can use "light" loads or lighter grain loads such as a 150 grain bullet and start working up to what you can handle. Such as a good quality 180 grain load for an all round load. You can still have some 220 grain bullets on hand for close range brown bears.

It is better to be proficient with a lighter gun than not be able to hit anything with a heavier gun. If you are going to flinch and throw your shot off every time, things are not going to go well for you. Better to have something a little lighter that you can shoot accurately and place the bullet where you want it every time. Placement of the bullet is one of the most imporant factors in hunting.

Take a look at the chart below and you will see ehat I mean. A 30/06 generates about 19 foot pounds of recoil. A .375 is 46 foot pounds. Quite a difference.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Thumbs up

.338, .270 and a Hoyt Supertec bow!

Default Winchester

Model 70 in .300 win mag, it's all I have and all I need

Default 300 weatherby

The 300 Weatherby is a great hard hitting gun for all game in Alaska, you can get 220 gr bullets great for bear or 180 gr for moose 165 for caribou and all of these rounds are flying at higher velocities than a 300 win mag.

Default 300

300 win mag will do everything you need to any alaska big game animal. My father used only his model 70 up here for 30 yrs - the ONLY gun he used. After I used his hand me down for a few years I retired it, and bought a remington model 700 300 WM. The perfect all around caliber for AK. 150 grain for deer, and caribou. 180 for blackies, and even moose, 200 for anything larger(more dangerous).

I've got a .308
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I love my 338WM. for the big stuff and my 7mm for the rest.

Default One gun

I use a custom Mod. 70 Winchester .338 Mag. and 250 grain Barnes X bullets for everything in Alaska. If I was a young and strong guy hunting sheep every year I would also load up some 210 grain Nosler Partitions, for the same rifle. It wears a old Leupold 2.5 x 8 by 36 mm scope and a duplex reticle.

I got too many to list . . .

Fish, listen to Dave's advice. You need a gun that fits you, not one that fits someone else on the forum. A .270, .308, or 30-06 would be a great first rifle for most Alaskan game. My first rifle was a .308, but I soon thereafter bought a 30-06 and still use it a lot to this day. The 30-06 has a huge variety of bullet sizes and can be used to take nearly any game animal in North America. The option of the reduced recoil loads makes it even better for a new hunter. That is where I would look if I were you.

Only have one big game rifle, a Ruger M77 .338WM for all my hunting in AK, but I don't hunt grizz/brown bears (too expensive to tan the hide and take care of the skull). Besides, I eat the game I kill.

Default alaskan rifle

Anything from the 308-375 H&H will do a fine job on alaskan game. Its really hard to go wrong with a 30/06 or 300 win mag for a starter and then later decide if you want a big boomer. As to the rifle stainless synthetic my favorite is Win 70 classic and now kimber montana. I have 325 WSM that I do most of my hunting with and a few big bores.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast