Thread: wolf hunting

Default wolf hunting

Just curious, I'd like to do a little predator control this winter and would like some input on how to hunt wolves in the Tanana valley or should I head somewhere else?

I've heard of them along the river and have seen a few, found a bunch of tracks in areas but have never attempted to call them in or actively hunt them. I have a few friends that have shared info on coyote hunting in the lower 48 but no one I know hunts wolves up here, so any advice is welcome advice.

Default Me too

I am not set on an area but I would appreciate any info on means and methods to call them within gun range.

Default Never seen one

I'd love to do some predator control myself but I've never seen a wolf during the day or while hunting. Only heard them at night. Would a wounded rabbit call work? Can you bait wolves?

I young man I know killed a couple of them from a tree stand a couple of years ago, but I would think that a tree stand would be awfully cold during the winter months. Maybe setting-up an electronic caller away from the stand?

Default Taking wolves

I have friends that use predator calls and a howler and have done well here on the Kenai Peninsula. They first look for moose kills. Once they have a kill located they then set up in the area. I have taken them over kills also but not calling just waiting. I usually try not to disturb the site and find a spot away from it and set up with my .22-250 early in the morning. The wolf population on the peninsula is booming. We spot wolves most the winter and through moose season.

Default North Pole Area

Anyone have any information on taking wolves or coyotes near or around the flood control ?

Default thanks

Thanks for the replies all, seems a few of us have an interest and not much of a clue.

ltsryd I might have to drive down and help you guys with your predator problems down there... if i can find a dead moose somewhere

I've been out calling for wolves before with my electronic callers and have had them howl back, but I've never seen them come in. While I've been outcalling Coyotes, wolves have barked/howled at the same time. Once the wolves howl though, there is no way the Coyotes come any closer. It's obvious the Coyotes associate the Wolves with trouble and seem to head for the hills. There was an article in a predator calling magazine a couple years ago about a local Fairbanks guy who called and killed quite a few wolves. He basically used mouth calls and rabbit/hare distress sounds. He'd fly out to remote areas and setup in front of wolves and call them to himself. I can't afford to fly out for wolves, so I stick to putting the miles on the snowmachine looking for sign. In the article, people also talk about having wolves come in during moose season. I think the flood control area gets alot of pressure and calling a wolf would be a waste of energy. You're probably better off getting out on the Tanana once it sets up and snowmachining it while calling every so often. There is a local Wildlife Technologies representative in Fairbanks who has called and killed wolves. He did a seminar last year at Frontier(Sentry). I'm hoping to get a wolf this year too and I'm probably going to have to put some miles on the snowmachine to get into areas where I think I'll be successful. Packs seem to have routes they travel and come through areas every couple of weeks in certain locations. If there's fresh sign and kills, stay in the area and call. If you hear something sit tight and let them come to you. Setup right and make sure you have something behind you that will conceal you. I always make sure to wear white camo from head to toe. There will probably be more than one wolf that comes in and they're able to pick off hands moving with a mouthcall very easy, so if you hear them close, sit tight and get ready.The electronic caller is the way to go for wolves in my opinion, but then again, I've only heard them respond. If you're out calling for other animals though (Fox,Coyote, Lynx), expect to not see anything once you sound off with the wolf howls. That's just from my experience, but it makes sense that the wolf is the top dog up here and the others don't want much to do with them.

Default Sbiic look for moose wintering areas.

We cruise through moose wintering areas until we cut a wolf track or two. Follow the tracks and you'll get a good feel for there routes and will also eventuelly find a kill. Wolves cover a lot of ground unlike a coyote or lynx that is more localized. A large pack will kill a moose or two a week so keep looking you'll find the kills. If you fly, all the better. When the pack is in the area it's time to hunt but if there is no sign or return calls it only becomes a cold day. When they make a kill, the tracks will be thick in a 3 to 5 mile area and crisscross each other. If they are just on the hunt the tracks from the pack will only be going one way. This is what we have found anyway. Hope it helps.

I saw a pack of 10 yesterday on the ak penn at about 3pm. 6 full grown and 4 slightly less. Circled around 4 or 5 times to get pictures and they hardly lifted their noses from the ground. I think they were heading for some of the brwn bear carcasses and could hardly care less if I was flying around them. One of the guides saw a collared one with 4 pups about 5-6 miles away a week earlier.

Default wolf calling

My buddy called in two wolfs a couple weeks ago at the Wrangles at the being of his sheep hunt and shot a big grey one. He said they came in with not too much calling