Thread: Aguila Brass for Reloading

Question Aguila Brass for Reloading

This weekend I was reloading some .38 Special. I had several different types brass, separated out. Most of the brass gave me no problems in seating primers, so I am confident my setup (Dillon RL550B) was properly adjusted.

But the Aguila brass fairly consistently was difficult to prime. No problems decapping, but the primer seemed to hang up as I tried to seat a new one. It was almost as if there was a primer crimp, but there wasn't.

It made me nervous having to use extra force, so I quit. I'd hate to throw out a bunch of good brass, but I also don't have a primer pocket reamer, and am not really interested in doing that - I know lots of folks do it for mil 5.56 brass.

Anyone have similar experiences with this or another brass? Solutions? Is there something I might not have thought of with respect to my press? I've experienced this on rare occasion with other brass, but that was usually my fault in adjusting everything, and was remedied easily once I spotted my error.

Thanks,

Chris

I've got an RCBS primer pocket swage tool I used to use on military 38 special brass with crimped primers. I don't remember the brand of brass, but I ran into what you describe once upon a time. Couldn't see a crimp, but one pass through the swage took care of the issue. If you've got lots of the brass, that tool should work if RCBS still makes it.

Default primer pocket problems

I have only used some Aguila brass for reloading 9mm Luger, but found the primer pockets were a little tight. Brownbear is correct, the RCBS primer pocket swager would work fine and they do still make it. I don't recommend the handheld primer pocket "cutters" as it is easy to take the pocket out of round. If you don't have much of this brass, I would sort it out and either swage it or discard.

Default Thanks

I'll sort it, and figure out if it's worth the time/expense of buying the swage (learned a new word) tool or just disposing of it.

Chris

Good decision. I have no clue what they cost today, but the swage tool is dirt easy and quick to use, yet 100% consistent. Maybe pick one up on fleabay if you don't like the price of new.