Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling In Moose!

Default Calling In Moose!

Called in my first moose ever this last sunday while looking for black bear up in the berries. The trail up to the berries through the alders and thick brush was littered with bear sign, but no bears above tree line, don't know where they where? Saw 15 moose 2 bulls, 9 cows and, 3 calfs and almost hit on the drive there in the morning. Called him in from along ways away with some grunt calls and some thrashering around in the bushes. He grunted back at me and beat up some small trees and then headed my way. Then a cow came out of the brush and started to cow call and follow the bull over to me, calling the hole time. The bull didn't even care about the cow, he just kept getting angery every time i grunted at him, he would blow air out of his nose, it was cold out and looked awsome. They came within less than a 100 yards of me, whish the season was still going on. It was an awsome experience and got me hooked.

Should've taken some pic's, would have been a good share.
    Been a few years since I've called one in, but it came out steaming mad, blowing out throught the nose and drooling.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default cool

Thats why the season ends when it does. It's just to dang easy this time of year. Fun to go out, and practice though. How big was he?

He was the bigger of the two bulls we saw had three brow tines on one side and two on the other. The other bull was small and only had three points on his left side and two on his right.

Default Called 11 in last Wednesday

Here are some pics of some of the moose who came to calls last Wednesday. I would be interested in guesses on width of two bigger ones. They were really displaying to each other, the big one wouldn't start coming until the sun tipped down. National Geographic was there should be some footage of these moose in their show in begining of 2008.

The smaller of these two looks to be outweighed by 300 to 400 lbs. He had a limp and whined like a puppy dog as big boy approached, not interested in a fight even when two cows showed up.

Default Whites of the eye

Gives new meaning to "Don't shoot till you can see the whites of their eyes." That looks close. just curious how close you were? I can tell it was close but was just wondering due to the zoom on the camera. Nice pictures.

Nice pic. bob, my guess on the big guy is 70 plus.

Default nice moose photos

Those are some impressive moose and photos. What general area were they taken at? Thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by Skrat; 10-10-2007 at 07:48. Reason: typo

Is this a very smart thing to do? Going out calling moose after the season, just to get them all worked up over nothing and get a few good pics. I sent this link to Nat Geo and asked for their response along with my views. Will wait to see if they respond.
    I personally feel that moose and other critters should be viewed from a distance and left alone when doing what they need to do. I also feel this is a form of harrassment to the critters and does them harm, expending time and energy chasing around non existant partners. When calling moose like that you have no idea how many responded from miles away, without you even knowing it. Such a STUPID thing to do, that I am suprised some even consider doing it. Leave em alone and let them prosper, after the hunt. If you want pics, get a tele lens and watch them on their own terms, without interference.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Is this a very smart thing to do? Going out calling moose after the season, just to get them all worked up over nothing and get a few good pics. I sent this link to Nat Geo and asked for their response along with my views. Will wait to see if they respond.
    I personally feel that moose and other critters should be viewed from a distance and left alone when doing what they need to do. I also feel this is a form of harrassment to the critters and does them harm, expending time and energy chasing around non existant partners. When calling moose like that you have no idea how many responded from miles away, without you even knowing it. Such a STUPID thing to do, that I am suprised some even consider doing it. Leave em alone and let them prosper, after the hunt. If you want pics, get a tele lens and watch them on their own terms, without interference.

Why is it that people must reference others actions with the word "STUIPD" here?? Come on guys... the anti's call us that enough, do we need to do it to ourselves to?

And by the way, regardless to what was used to get the bulls that close, those are some dandy pics.
    Last edited by AKArcher; 10-10-2007 at 09:54. Reason: Forgot the Kudos
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcher View Post
    Why is it that people must reference others actions with the word "STUIPD" here?? Come on guys... the anti's call us that enough, do we need to do it to ourselves to?

Because sometimes it is warranted. Silence or kudo's to STUPID actions brings on more of the same.

And by the way, regardless to what was used to get the bulls that close, those are some dandy pics.
    Dandy pics indeed. Were they worth it, to the Moose though?

All I am saying is to call them during the season and shoot them. Don't mess with them when they are rutting. It is a stressful time for them and they don't need more of it.

I'll be trying to call in a big bull on Sunday. Calling moose is one of my favorite ways to hunt them and it can be very effective during the last part of the season. I called in 2 bulls in mid Sept and helped Marc Taylor tag team on some bulls during his Elmendorf hunt. I can't wait to give it another shot!

Exclamation Missing my point!

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post

Because sometimes it is warranted. Silence or kudo's to STUPID actions brings on more of the same.
    Calling someone or someone's action "STUPID" in a public forum is nothing short of disrespectful and shows a lack of intelligence (not saying AKRES that you lack intelligence). Amazingly, this word has come up in two very recent threads...

WHY, in this forum, must we degrade people by publicly telling them that their actions are STUPID? Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but, if you want your child, spouse, or co-worker to change, do you think calling them or their actions STUPID is going to get them to change or understand your point? How about finding something a little more respectful to say.

My response in this thread my be in the lines of "hijacking" (and I do apologize to AKHunter83 and trapperbob) due to the fact that the word STUPID distracted me from the POINT about the harassment of the moose; however I do enjoy the pictures taken.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Nice pic's, bet it was a rush to have 2 of 'em come in that close and go at it a bit.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default size matters

I looked long and hard at both and can't give either more than a low 62" guess. The bases don't look that large and they don't seem to bend down a long ways like some big bulls. In the first picture I would guess the width between antlers on the skull to be 8". I am guessing the ears at about 21" apart as they are upright.
    I would be excited to say the least to see either of these magnificent animals in the wild any time of the year. These are great photos and thanks for sharing.

Default nice pictures

Great Pictures. I love seeing bulls in the rut. I would guess the big guy at 63 or 64 inches. He's definetly not high 60's. You guys did nothing wrong by calling these bulls in and taking photos. If they are that stressed that you calling them in is going to kill them this winter, then they were going to die anyways.

Akres- I think defenders of wildlife has a website for people who think what we do is "stupid". Go check it out

Default response to the "stupid" argument

Anyone who has "called" moose knows if the moose are in full rut and in groups like this, the moose are not being "called" very far. Moose are not going to leave other groups of moose and walk for miles because someone lets out a bull grunt or two. So to Suggest that the person that took these photos is "stressing" these bulls is not realistic.

Very good JKB

No bull that is the prime bull is going to wander miles from his cow to your call. A satellite bull will though who is looking for action.

Also I beleive after season calling is great practice and makes you a better hunter.

If you think about it there is moose calling all over out there during the rut and they are constantly on the move.

It is also a great way to teach kids to call. During the season the short ones we have unless you go way north the bulls don't come to the call that great anyways. When the 17th hits they start coming decent but not full tilt in the Anchorage area including the valley. On the Yukon river they come good from the 12th on with prime being the 20th. I find they come better in the pre rut to a call than the rut unless they aren't the dominant bull.

Just my 2 cents

Late season calling is great for brushing up on calling methods, as well as watching there different reactions to some of the different calls. I doubt it puts very much stress on the animals - they do so much traveling, and chasing one another around from mid sept through mid Oct one guy calling for a few hours isn't gonna do even a bit of harm. Unless one gets to close, and is real pissed - then the caller might get hurt.

Default irritated

AWESOME PICS! You did nothing wrong and had a great experience in the outdoors! Dont listen to anyone who wants to critisize with their openions! because openions are like *********s everyone has one and they all stink!. haha I woulda done the same thing.
    Have a great day
    ME

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast