Thread: 444 for bears?

Thumbs up 444 for bears?

I have a marlin 444 w/ 22" barrel and a 3.5X10 40mm leupold. Obviously it is at maximum a 150-200 yard rifle, but can it be used to....

A) hunt black bears out to 200 yards?
    B) stop grizzlies at close range?

Probably load it with 305 grn corbon penatrators or 335grn buffalo bore hard casts.

Anyone else hunt with these guns up in alaska?
    I bought it for hog hunting in Texas before i knew i was moving to alaska. How effective is this rifle?

I'd use it but I would get a lowered powered scope since its a relatively close range gun.

I'm with Blink.
    Good cartridge with the loads you mention or handloads but I'd go more 2-5x on the scope.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Yup. I'm a fan of levers and the 444 among others, and I've got quite a few. The 444 almost died on the vine when first introduced with the load Remington first offered and with the powders then available to reloaders. With better bullets and today's powders, it can beat the stuffing out of the "standard" 240 grain Remington factory load.

But that's way more scope than I'd use. I tried 3x9's on a variety of levers, and they only made sense on Savage 99's and Winchester 88's in flatter shooting calibers than the 444. My pick for Marlins is the Leopold 1.5x5 if I scope them at all. The ones I carry most often all wear receiver sights, and they're sure sweet to carry and shoot while not giving away anything range-wise and accuracy-wise to the same gun and caliber with scopes. For shots less than 200 yards, and especially less than 100 yards a scope is kind of like a jet engine on a crop duster in my book.

client took a grizz with his 444 this fall at 200 yards even, complete pass thru, great shot, can't remember what scope he had but the gun shot great, i loved it! i woudlnt' hesitate to take another client out who carried one and knew how to use it!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default ? for BrwnBr

what bullets/ammo did your client use with the 444 on bears?
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Default .444

I've used a .444 since 1980 with no problems , back then the 265 hornaday was the only bullet to reload . I think that any above .40 cal . well constructed bullet at 2000 f.p.s. is going to work at reasonable distances with good placement . We all waste too much money on what we think would be a better mousetrip , people in the bush generally are the wisest when it come to such matters .

my client was shooting the new lever revloution ammo from hornady, can't remember what the weights and details were but that was the stuff. i was impresed to say the least.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thumbs up leverevolution

yeah, thats the same stuff im shooting in my 444.

Its 265 grn, polymer tip.

The only thing ive heard though is that although it is quite accurate, the jacket can be torn off the core when hitting a large bone like a bear's shoulder. But i guess 265 grains is enough mass even if the jacket is torn off. This is just a rumor/hear say. No facts to back it up.

I think i would sacrifice a few inches of trajectory at 200 yards for a 300-350 grain hardcast just to be on the safe side though