Thread: Archery Shop

Default Archery Shop

any recommendations in the NP Fairbanks area, need some work done on my bow

Kings Nock in Fairbanks. I shoot a Mathews and have had work done in NP, but they don't have a range for you to test any repairs or mods.

The archery section at Sportsman's Warehouse impressed me a few weeks back. I'm not much of a SW fan, but Simon at the archery counter is squared away. He'll get my bow in a week or so for a new string, cable, peep, etc...

i second kings nock thomas is great

Default del

Call Del Demeritt. He used to have Fox Sports Den. His number is in the phone book. He is honest, timely, priced fairly, and treats his customer respectfully.
    Forum rules do not allow me to elaborate in a negative manner about other shops/owners. I have never used SW, but if I had to take my bow elsewhere, I would take it as far as Anchorage before anybody else in Fairbanks got to look at it.
    There are options for shooting, one being Ryan Middle School. GNAA runs that range and has for years.

Greg,

Is Del still working on bow stuff? I thought Joad consumed all of his time.

Still waiting on the phone call for beers and brats

Dunno what kind of work ya need done but I might be able to pass you to a person whose good with it. But you might want to elaborate a little.

Customer service at all the places in Fairdanks has went down the tubes. They all started out really good and cared about their customers satifaction but then they got bigger and started not caring so much about the customer. I have not used sportsmans warehouse so I can't say anything about them other than they don't fletch arrows.

Default Lots of choices?

Not in the fairbanks area, wont use NP Archery again!! so Im down to 2

If you guy's ever get the chance to learn to do this stuff yourself, you need to take advantage of that. Times change and unfortunately the "Good ole'" proshop is a thing of the past. Fast food and fast sales is the way of the furture.

Anyone really good at tech work can't afford to stay around unless they own the shop and don't have to compete with the chain stores for sales. With the multipule chain stores in every state, its not getting better.

and here I was pumping up your work buddy

Default Del

Hey there Danny Boy, Del will take some work, and as you know, he does it well. Folks just have to give him a call. As for myself, I shoot a Hoyt so don't need to fool with the bow, just shoot it.
    Previous posters are correct that customer service in FAI is poor at best. I have not been to NP in years, and have not needed anything from SW.
    My son chose to use a local shop much to my chagrin. Later after the glue on 8 of 11 shafts failed, and several inserts and tips were lost in the butts, he was told by the owner it must be something my son had done.
    Interesting, we have never had a glue failure on any shaft that Del made for us, nor have we ever had a problem on any target, bag, butt or anything else we have shot into.
    So I researched it, bought some good glue, and re-glued all of his shafts. Not a single failure after months of shooting and I am a rookie at it. It is too bad because I have always tried to support the local guy whenever it has been possible to do so.

Greg,

I'll keep that in mind for you mechanical folks....aint like its the first time someone asked . I didnt know Del was doing any work, thought he was wrapped up in joad stuff.

There's definatly a perk to shooting a stick. You fix it yourself or buy a new one And there aint much a monky like myself can fix...but I sure know how to breakm

Default Suggested reading

Tuning Your Compound Bow
    by Larry Wise
    ISBN 0-913305-15-4

It has saved my archery butt a few times.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

If you have to use SW ask for Chad he is the most knowledgable one there. I would not let anyone else around SW touch my stuff (sts)