Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water "The Submarine" Gremlin

Cool Water "The Submarine" Gremlin

I know its coming, so lets get it over with......

When I checked the dipstick at knik the whole dipstick was milky, so I figured the oil was milky as well. I guess I was wrong. I had about an 1/2 ounce of water in my oil. When I got home I changed the oil three times with two different filters. The beast is up and running.

I hope you guys had a good ride.

I thought for sure the title of this thread would have been more impressive than that. What a let down.........
    Should've called me earlier, could've went back looking for them.
    Got beer?

Oh man you beat me to the punch. I just got home. we got back to the trucks somewhere around 5PM. Had a good time. My polaris is pretty much done. I overheated, the rear chain loosened up twice and the rear sprocket is about gone. My brakes turned to junk cuz 1 hill rob and John wanted to check out. it was pretty steep. Of course they didnt have to twist my arm to check it out. took us forever to get around friday creek, but we had a good time playing in the mud. I barely got back across Jim creek and my belt got soaked. all in all it was a great day.

Pics to come of the kawasaki brute "submarine"force to come. Its all hindsight but to bad we didnt know how little water you had in the oil. when you see milk on the dipstick its not good. atleast you didnt hash out your motor, better safe than sorry.

Heres the stroy....

The sandy bottom was very soft and could barely hold the weight of my machine. The machine had some bouyance but the current spun me around 180*. I figured the water wasnt that deep and my snorkels could take it so I turned another 180* to make a full turn. For some reason my left side started to dig bad. I jumped off to the left and help up the left side as much as I could without letting off the pinned throttle. The lower left corner of my airbox dipped below the water and filled with water. BLUP BLUP BLUP the machine died. The airbox gasket was pretty much toast.

I still need to drain my bowls again and my diffs.

forAK and I did see a guy almost roll this Rubicon on top of himself trying to load the machine in to the back of his truck. He ran over and lifted up the front of his machine so the ole feller could kick the 2x6" board back under the tire.

I got the MB but the wife made a booboo and bought the MB non-lite. :-/ Shes trying to fatten me up.

Default the "Water-logged Gremlin"!

There I was, all ready to snorkel my 6x6 and after watching WG's snorkel'd brute force, well, I wasn't all that impressed! ) You guys missed out on a good ride. We got some good hill climbing in as well as some good swamp time. We will have to try it again sometime. Heck, we even took the shine off of AKhunter45's axe while clearing a trail.

WG, we found a great spot to watch for dogs this winter. I hope I can find it again! We took a tour of Ausdahls homestead and signed his guest book. 36 years up there and he is still living there year round.

No problems with the new treads other than rubbing the fenders occasionally. A little bit of a front end lift (probably another $100!) should fix it.

Anyway, good times! Lets do it again!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

You are a "true" Water_Gremlin James! Glad your machine is good to go!! Fun ride yesterday guys, looking forward to doing another before the summer is over. Maybe an overnighter out at Eureka.

Wink

All I need is a better gasket for my airbox lid and some teflon paste for the snorkels where the male and female threaded couples are joined at the fenders. THEN I will no longer be the water logged one. The snorkels work great as long as they are water tight.

I have rode by Ausdahls homestead hundreds of times but I have never met the guy.

I am ready and waiting for the next ride. I will be prepared this time.

I thought they were the Oswalds?? Thats what their sign on the their cabin said anyways.

Default Oswald

I think you are right, I can never remember their name! Pretty cool operation going on up there.
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Funny, my son told me this morning "dad, your 4 wheeler isn't very dirty". If he could have only seen it when we rode through the "tall grass"!!!

Default Polaris 500 Submarine

Man sounds like you guys had way too much fun! My friend SilverTipGriz over at www.atvfrontier.com lives down by Wasilla now and rides Knik. Silver 02 Griz, 686, 29.5 Outlaws, snorked. I haven't made it down there yet. Maybe next year. Here's a pic of a Fairbanks Polaris 500 Submarine....No it's not me! I ride an 02 Griz with a few mods.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

AK, that "tall grass" was definitly fun. Didnt do much for my chains or bearings..LOL but it was fun. I was waiting for my chain to snap.

I totally stripped my polaris tonight and my fan was locked up solid (cant figure why it was getting hot). Belt was toast (already replaced it). Tomorrow I'm gonna tear apart the fan and see if there is something I can do to rebuild it. I got all kinds of brushes and stuff to fix motors. I'm still gonna get a new machine, but I want this one running for a spare.

Snyd, yeah if hes got that set-up, thats a pretty good pothole he dropped into.

Not to get away from the submarine but here a few other pics of the hill we went up. they dont look bad but it had a pretty good angle to it.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...1/DSC00243.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...1/DSC00245.jpg

And to think I missed a BBQ over this...lol

Which side of Friday Creek were you on? The Jim Creek swamp side of the glacier side?

If thats the Jim Creek side that is widow maker hill. Thats one of the only trails I havent been on at Knik. Last time I tried to hit that trail there were three snowmachines at the front of the hill so we turned around, we figured they were hunting.

Gremlin, on the way in I could tell you. on the way out I got so turned around (following some 6 wheeler that could go just about anywhere) I didnt know where I was. I wasnt lost, I knew where the mtns were and where the river was, other than that I was a little disorientated

At the base on the creek bed there was a real nice camp site.

Also whoever made that trail needs some psyciatric work. it just deadends at the worst spot. atleast put a sign up...lol

Default Glacier side

We went up Friday creek to where you cross it to get over to Wolf point then kept going up toward the canyon. About 1/4 mile before the canyon there was a really nice campsite just off the riverbed in the woods on the glacier side. The trailhead started in the woods after you drove through the campsite.

The end was kinda funny! The trail still looked really good and we started up a hill and turned a corner around some willows and Blink just stopped, grabbed his brakes, and said it was the end. LOUSY place to stop a trail in that hilly country! All three of us had to back out to a flat spot to turn around. Steep hill on one side and steep drop off (about 15-20' down) on the other.

Great view though and someone had a bear bait station in that area. The warning signs were still up and we found a quite elaborate tree stand.
    AKmud

I have never rode that trail to the top in the summer time but I have gone up it when it has been covered with ice and snow. After the long climb to the top the trail drops down a bit, takes a few corners and then starts to climb again. I couldnt go any further because the snow was too deep.

Pakrat told me a guy was double riding with his girl trying to climb that hill and they rolled over backwards somewhere on the way up. They lost the atv in the valley and one of them suffered a broken back. If I remember right they were airvacced out.

The views are something to see. The atv's in the knik valley look like ants kicking up dust. It takes a lot of riding the knik area for me to get sick of it and look for a new spot.

Cool Shmoose

Yeah, the "tall grass" was fun, I couldn't get out of 2nd gear for fear of getting stuck, which I did do once. Being third man through the hole coming back the trail got pretty tore up, the bottom of my Foreman sat on the muskeg while all 4 wheels sta there spinning, kinda like being on jack stands. It was unbelieveable to see all the moose up there in sheep country, funny I didn't see one with those curly horns either......

Quote Originally Posted by Blink
    Not to get away from the submarine but here a few other pics of the hill we went up. they dont look bad but it had a pretty good angle to it.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...1/DSC00243.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...1/DSC00245.jpg

And to think I missed a BBQ over this...lol
    I did that trail last night all the way to the end. Didn't even know it existed. Now, where the first pic is taken, is that the one you guys came up? At the top of the hill as you are looking at the trail, there's another one to the right. NOW THAT IS A NICE HILL!! Nothing like a wheeling hill climb! Yikes that was just nasty. Makes the Hicks creek hill look easy. Talk about the views though. Awesome views. How far did you guys make it that day? The trail actually goes over to the other ridge on the east side of Friday creek. Real good ride...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast