Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fall blackies this weekend

Default Fall blackies this weekend

Going to take the boat to Cooper Lake this weekend and try for some blackies. Will be spotting from the boat and puttin' on the stalk from there! Never been there before but I understand the road back there is do-able. Anyone been back there lately? Anyone had success there?

Default Sunday

Went up there Sunday. The road is very good. You should have a good chance at seeing a blackie. We spotted two from the Seward highway this past Sunday, but both were smaller bears. Bring some warm clothes, that lake gets COLD even if it's warmer down lower.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

I saw a post by AKHunter45 from two weekends ago and he said he saw blacks on the hill but needed a boat to cross Cooper Lake.

The road should be fine, its a mellow drive up there. What kind of boat are you taking?

Tim

Default Wooldridge

I have a 99' Wooldridge Alaskan II--Full camper canvas!!--Comfortable boat but I need to geet some HEAT going! Gonna be chilly....

Default Hmmmmmm

I got to thinking today....The lake may begin to freeze up this week with the cold temps....may not even get to launch...

Talking Go for it..

Ya won't know unless ya try!! I say go for it! Good luck...

Default I use a Mr. Buddy single tank heater

$80 and will heat up your boat just fine. Mine smokes us out, nice and toasty. It has a sensor so it doesn't kill with carbon monixide. It doesn't want to stay on if your running full speed. But a nice idle looking for bears or anchored up it is awesome. A one pound cylinder will last 6 or more hours with contineous use. I just use when getting up in the morning and when going to bed. Just to take the chill off.

Default Freeze

I'd take the boat up there and give it a try. If it's starting to freeze, you can always change tactics and just glass the mountains around the Seward Highway.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Yeah...I'm taking the boat no matter what and if there is ice on the lake we'll have to change the game plan a little. We'll be sleeping nice and cozy in the motorhome on Friday and Saturday night!

What about cruising Kenai Lake if Cooper is frozen? I don't know if there are any bear-abilities there, but its a big lake. BTW, sounds like a nice boat to be hunting from!

Tim

Default Not too sure!

It seems that guys have posted on prior threads that Kenai Lake has alot of treed areas and the glassing is not so good! But you are right...the lake is big and there are bears everywhere. Gotta be some bears around there too!

Default FYI...

Ice in the Anchor River as of yesterday morning, still able to fish, but I will be surprised if it isn't too clogged up by November 1! I haven't got this weather figured out here yet, but thought this might be some use to ya. I was up by Tustamene (sp?) last weekend and there was no sign of ice there.

-Buck

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info Buck..

Kenai Lake is a big lake and there are a lot of bears on the slopes. The down side is the winds and waves when the wind blows down the lake from the Seward Hwy side. It can lay those big spruce trees down horizontal. Rumors are that Kenai Lake does not give up it's dead. Be very careful

Default Good luck!

Its a great time of your to glass.
    Good luck and I hope to see some picts this next week of a fall bear.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Default You cant learn less!

My boy and I toook the motorhome and boat to Cooper Lake and were back home to Wasilla in less than 24 hours. Pulled in to the lake around midnight on Friday night, caught some shut-eye and woke up at about 7:30 Saturday morning to a fresh dusting of snow and a very low ceiling.

Was not able to launch the boat because the road that went down to the lake was a little steep and a little slick. I did not want to start my day by getting stuck. I don't think I would have attempted to launch even if it had'nt been snowing and slippery. With the lake level down a little bit I'd feel better launching with a 4X4.

Talked with a couple of guys that had been there for three days using an inflatable raft and they said they had not glassed a bear the whole time they had been there!

With that information and the fact the weather was getting worse, we bolted and headed home. I thought about drenching the boat in Kenai Lake but I just was'nt feeling it! We glassed a few spots between Cooper Landing and Turnigan Pass and saw nothing....

Cooper Lake is sure beautiful though...Snug Harbor Rd. is a breeze to get through. I'll be heading back there in spring for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Was not able to launch the boat because the road that went down to the lake was a little steep and a little slick. I did not want to start my day by getting stuck.
    For the record.... launching the boat isn't the problem, I'm sure you could have done it no matter how steep and slick the ramp is.

Retrieval, that's another story

Hey JUDD when you luanch a boat on cooper lake do you have to go down snug harboe road to launch or is there another way. I drove down snug to glass on saturday, didn't have a boat, and couldn't drive to the lake, there was a gate that closed the road off past the upper russian trail aways. Does anyone know you they close that gate?

Just passed the gate is some kind of power generator (I think)...We were parked down near the gate and were thinking about launching right there to the left of the gate...

There was only one other road down to the lake that I could see and it was pretty much the same situation. My boat is pretty big. A raft would have been much better for this trip!

We were out of there by 10:30 AM.....were you in a red toyota truck by chance?

You've got that right KRS!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast