Thread: Haul Road Caribou

Question Haul Road Caribou

Does anybody have a update on the caribou? What the weather is like up their? Thanks

My wife and I just got back yesterday from the Haul Road. Roads were icy in some spots; we saw two bad accidents. Up near Pump 2, there's only a light dusting of snow. We wore over-whites in the morning while the frost was still on the grass, but switched to browns about 1000. Temps are around 0 at night and mid-30's during the day, depending on where you're at and the amount of wind. It was very windy near Deadhorse.

The farthest south we saw caribou was about 60 miles south of Deadhorse near the out house pull out. Largest group we saw was about 30, with most being around 10. Most of the caribou were at least a mile off the road. I took mine two miles out. If you're looking for big herds crossing the road you'll be disappointed. The hunting up there isn't the jump out of the vehicle, hide in the ditch, and shoot a nice bull hunting like most are used to.

My buddy and I got back last night. Everything we saw was north of Happy Valley. We were in about 2 miles and saw several herds between 5 and 50 all over out there. But the same thing, nothing from the road. Gonna have to do some walking.

Default Wait a week

I got back 2 nights ago, with a slightly different experience than brown 183. We saw ~ 200 caribou between Pump Station 3 and a few miles north (MM338) of Happy Valley , most were on the east side of the river and about 4 miles south of Happy Valley. Bulls were still harassing cows but the rut was definitely winding down. We could have taken a decent bull about 20 yards from the road but he was trailing a cow really close and acting aggressive at times so we passed as to not shoot a rank bull.
    Does anyone out there know when the bulls become edible again? We saw many bulls up there, all were either with cows or headed in that direction. Although only a couple bulls were still herding the cows with any real intensity, we didn't want to shoot a rank one. If they are just loosely trailing cows without too much harassment, will their meat still be inedible?
    The temps were relatively mild, down toward 0 at night, in low teens during the day. A pretty consistent wind around 10-15 mph. Overall pretty good considering the time of year.

Default New Updates?

Anyone returning more recently? Thanks for any info, heading up soon.
    Bob

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.