Thread: 25 WSSM wildcat concept

Default 25 WSSM wildcat concept

OK you gurus chime in on this idea. I have a 25 wssm and have wondered if slightly larger bullets were available would it be an acceptable "all round" rifle for everything short of coastal bear. Right now 120 gr. is the largest factory load bullet available. With a .27 cal barrel, 150-160 gr. class bullets should be usable. A 270 wssm?. I know, there is already a 270 WSM. But since I already have the 25.....
    I have never handloaded or wildcatted before. Just one of those things one ruminates upon at the close of yet another hunting season.
    Your thought please. HH

Works for me, but then again I'm a fan of calibers less than 30. The 25 WSSM load data at Hodgdon looks like it "round numbers" like a 257 Roberts. If that's a fair comparison, then it makes me think about the parent case for the Roberts, i.e., the 7x57. There were some wildcat 270's on that case at one time, so I'm guessing performance would be in the same ballpark. Of course, if your thinking about a 270 "WSSM", why not go ahead and build a 284 WSSM? That would let you jump up to 175 grain bullets if you wanted while still doing nicely in the 140-160 grain range. There are some dandy 7mm bullets out there that perform well in the velocity range of the 7x57, one of my long-time favorite calibers. I've used it for everything from antelope to moose with most other species of deer in between.

Lots of supposin and perhapsin in my point, but that's part of the fun of the wildcat inspiration.

Good points BB. It does make me wonder though, if this is a good idea, why didn't Winchester do it themselves.
    Another thing- My 25 mag is a Browning A-bolt. A barrel off their 270 wsm might fit my action.
    I believe there is a 7mm WSM too. I suppose the aftermarket barrel guys have options for my action too.
    I take it from your post that 7mm is basically a .280? HH