Thread: PWS Deer Hunt this weekend

Default PWS Deer Hunt this weekend

I am going out this weekend for 5 days on my boat to deer hunt. Going to hit Knight, Green, Monty, and others in that area. Wanting to see if anyone else is going out or will be out at the same time and would like to hook up. I am not looking for hunting spots. I think I can manage that on my own. Two boats can cover more ground than one and sure will be helpful in case someone has a problem. PM me or post a reply. I will be leaving Whittier Saturday morning and returning Thursday weather permitting.

Kammer
    22' Seasport
    Call Sign "Sand Dollar"

Default How it went

Hunted Knight and Montague Island. Did not see one deer. Not one deer. Saw 2 nice grizzlies on the beach at sun up. Hiked up into the hills and saw a lot of sign, but all the deer seemed to be up higher than I was. Not much snow at all last week. Only on the jagged peaks. Has not come down yet. For 3 days, my partner and I cruised the beaches from Ports Chalmers to Hanning Bay. When the tide was high, we would do some hiking up in the hills. We are both good hikers and made it up to the top of the foothills and still saw nothing. The number one reason in my opinion why we did not see anything on the beach is because of the small planes. Every day we were there, from shortly after sun up, until about an hour from dark, the beaches got buzzed all day by small planes. Not just flying over at 500 feet checking things out, I mean buzzing at 100 feet and making passes back and forth when they saw something. It was kinda disappointing to boat all the way out there and get your chances ruined by some jerks. I am sure other hunters have seen this. Hopefully it wont be so bad when I go back next month. Knight Island had a lot of beautiful coves and bays that I was sure we would see something in but we still saw nothing. Turned out to be a good trip despite the fact that we didn't get anything. Boat ran great, had good water except for Saturday when we came in from Monty to lower passage of Knight. Got lumpy and choppy. I'll try again next month.

Kammer
    22' Seasport

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default small planes on knight?

I didn't know there were a lot of beaches for planes to land on around Knight? I know Montague gets a lot of cub traffic- and I don't know you're situation specifically, but having been there many times I can say that sometimes it is necessary to look a beach over before landing on it- too steep, too many rocks, driftwood, etc... Perhaps some of the 'jerks' saw deer and were legally trying to land and hunt them. If I had a boat, I would definitely hunt areas that a plane couldn't land, and there are many areas in the sound that planes can't land that hold a lot of deer. Good luck later on- the snow will definitely help push 'em down to you.

Sorry to hear about your experience with the planes (and also no deer harvested). But thanks for the report. I won't be going out until probably Thanksgiving. Hopefully the deer will be down lower by then.

-Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Isn't there a law prohibiting smaller planes from flying under 500ft. when people are present? I had a float plane buzz are tent about 15ft. above it on knight Island and land on the other side of the peninsula when I was sleeping and my buddy was on the beach he saw the hole thing and got the plane numbers and we reported it to the athorities when we got back to town

Default PWS

I don't wish to instigate any argument, but would like to enter into the discussion. First of all I am a pilot and in the past have looked very carefully for a possible beach to land on. Whenever I have seen a camp in the mountains or folks on the ground I have always immediately departed that area. There are very few places for planes to land on the beaches of Montague and none that I am aware of on Knight island. If I have a destination in mind, I know that it takes several low passes to determine the safety of the possible landing site. In the case of the float plane it may have been necessary to get that low in order to be set up properly for their landing across the peninsula. If I had a boat to hunt from, I would certainly pick the myriad of places on the island to hunt on where planes are unable to land on beaches.

As far as the planes scaring the deer away I think that the reason you saw few deer was due to the tough winter last year, and not the planes scaring deer away. The biologist in Cordova just told me that they had a very heavy loss last winter and it is tough to find deer this year in PWS.

Planes are supposed to maintain a minimum elevation over populated areas, but that would suggest more than a tent. Nevertheless it wasn't courteous for them to fly right over your tent and I certainly wouldn't do it.

Default Bummer...

I hope you have better luck the next time your out.,

Sent you a PM.

I argee with you but he could have landed from either direction over the pennisula and the wind was calm. He was a pilot for one of the fly in fishing outfits here in town and was landing the float plane to taxi to a boat waiting in the cove. The pennisula is at the end of the cove and is accessed from both sides, never the less it was just rude and very dangerous to pull a stunt like that rather than fly around or over knight and land into the cove with miles of ocean to use for his approach

Default PWS

I have to agree with you now that you have supplied more information; there was no excuse for the poorly thought out performance.

Quote Originally Posted by 06tributeman View Post
    I argee with you but he could have landed from either direction over the pennisula and the wind was calm. He was a pilot for one of the fly in fishing outfits here in town and was landing the float plane to taxi to a boat waiting in the cove. The pennisula is at the end of the cove and is accessed from both sides, never the less it was just rude and very dangerous to pull a stunt like that rather than fly around or over knight and land into the cove with miles of ocean to use for his approach

Default blacktail

I Just Got Back Yesterday From Knight And We Saw A Spike And Doe On The First Day At About 700ft And That Was It For Our Little Adventure.

Thanks for keeping us posted. I'm heading out Thanksgiving weekend
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Montague Island

Spent the last 7 days on the north end of the island last week. The weather was BAD to say the least. 5 guys 1 deer and 1 bear. Had to stay in the wall tent 4 days because of wind, rain, hail, and snow. The deer are there, we seen alot of sign but just no deer to show for our efforts. Better luck to the rest of you heading out.