Thread: Summer 08

Default Summer 08

My brothers and I would like to take our Dad fishing next summer and are interested in doing it unguided but would like a cabin in the bush to stay in (the ol' man doesn't do tents anymore).

Does anyone know of a fishing service that flies you in and out and provides some sort of lodging, boat etc and then turns you loose on your own to fish?

We are interested in fishing for salmon primarily.

Thanks

Dont want to sound rude, but AK is a big place and there are a TON of operations that offer what you are looking for. Anywhere in particular that you want to go? Are you flexible with the area and quality/quantity of the fishing? Do you want something scenic or just plain fishable?
    I am more than positive we can help you out knowing the answers to some of these questions.

Prefer river fishing, most likely in July. I know that will mean Kings primarily but would like the opportunity for some Reds as well as 'bows and dollies if possible. Don't have a preference as to the location. Fishing experience ranks higher in priority than scenery.

The reason I ask is that, while I've found a couple of places that may work while looking on the internet, most web sites offer the full service package for a lot more money than we are able to spend. Not to mention, we are the type of guys that have fished all of our lives and would rather do it ourselves once we are where the fish are.

thanks for your help.

Here is the link to a DIY flyout lodge. Never used him before but have heard great things about it.

George Riddle
    Blueberry Island Lodge
    www.blueberryislandlodge.com

That looks like the type of thing I am looking for except that it is primarily trout fishing.

I am looking for salmon fishing first with the opportunity for dollies or rainbows.

Thanks for the heads up.

Thumbs up

There's lodges and camps out on the Nushagak river where you get your own cabin/tent and use of a boat. It's typically a King salmon fishery with other types of salmon possibly trickelling through. Most folks pick up some nice rainbow trout as well..The Kvichak river and some others around Lake Illiamna (I believe) have these outfits as well. I've just heard of them, never used 'em...So I'm not sure as to what their names are. Check on-line and something I'm sure will pop up...Good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by twozero View Post
    That looks like the type of thing I am looking for except that it is primarily trout fishing.

I am looking for salmon fishing first with the opportunity for dollies or rainbows.

Thanks for the heads up.
    The mighty Kvichak has so many sockeye the fishing gets boring (hence its primarily trout fishing), seriously. The run peaks around the 4th of July I believe and is about done by the 20th. You might want to look into south east as there are about a hundred forest service cabins. I think Rust's Flying service has a cabin on Bulchitna lake which is right by Lake Creek, but the sockeye run there has been off recently. They also have a few in the alexander creek drainage but you will find nothing but pike there.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default George Riddle

As mentioned in previous Post is an Blueberry Island Lodge is an excellent choice for what your looking for however I do not think they offer fly out service however I could be wrong. I do not think you will find a more reasonable package witht he services offered for the type of fishing you wish to achieve.

Give George a call I am sure he he can not asist you he will provide a refferal to someone who can.

Tight Lines

Blue Moose

Blue Moose and cmo1977, Thanks for the great support and kind words. Kvichak is a great river but we don't get Kings. All other salmon but no chinook's. Twozero, if you wish to email me I can set you up with a few contacts in King waters that offer other fishes as well. Again, thanks guys for the mention. Great place this is for helping fellow fishers out....

George

George,
    No problem, just trrying to get all the plugs for you so you can hook me up for the week. Just kidding, I do need to make the trip out there sometime soon.

Default 2W King Fishing

No Worries George still the bast package going in your neck of the woods and Kings are not that far away with a little help.

:-) Hope you had a very good summer! You have to post a Pic with a Rainbow and that 2W rod :-)

BlueMoose,
    Didn't get any rainbows but did some nice grayling. Wild learning curve with hook set and line control with that 6 foot rod. Broke the tip on that little thing not long after I got it strung up and loaded so have to get ahold of Damon and get it back to them. This year was my jinx year with rods... Broke 3 of them and these are the first broken rods for me in about 15 or more years.

Side note tho for that little rod. Have been trying to get my wife interested in fly casting and that rod seems to have done it. She took it out all by her self while I was not on the island, how cool was that I thought. I will be building us a pair this winter to play with. We move from the Bristol Bay area to Wasilla as she got her dream job at a new school in the valley. Also my best friend move to Fairbanks from DC so will be coming into your town this fall some time to say hello... Will swing by your shop when I do. Thanks again for your support and the wispy rod...

George

dont over look the forest service cabins in the Prince William Sound. There are several and you can fly in or get droped off by boat.

Default cabin fishing

hi my nameis debbie and we run a lodge here in tyonek well the outskirts of tyonek and we have websites you can google it just type in tyonek lodges and the number you are looking for is 907)583-2525 he also runs the alaskan lodge i believe the rates are online also any questions you can email me about it i'm @ tyonekdeb@yahoo.com hope to hear from you

The best way to get around Alaska is to rent a RV. Drive down the Kenai Pennisula and you can fish for many different fish, Kings, sockeye, Pinks and Halibut. You can fish for all these different fish on one trip if you go the right time of year. By renting a RV you will save money and be able to move to where the fish are.
    Check out this site and send questions to the webmaster.
    alaskafishingsuccess.com