Thread: bad news this a.m.

Default bad news this a.m.

Got the blood tests back on my 10 year old male lab. He has a hypo-thyroid condition. Bummer. He is a pup from my last breeding. His dam was diagnosed with the same condition years after we bred her. There was nothing to indicate a problem prior to breeding, and blood tests may or may not have indicated the problem early in her life.
    I have always tried to be concientious in breeding dogs, so this was a real kick in the guts to hear this news. Looks like the next thing for him is to be neutered. Thus ends almost 30 years of a line of dogs.
    I am passing this on as a reminder that even in the best laid plans things can and to go wrong. As breeders, whether it is a one time event, or a business, we have a tremendous responsibility to do the right thing, not the easy thing. Breeding problems into pups, and passing that problem onto buyers is just wrong.
    Looks like I may be in the market for my own "leather belly" in the near future. Keep your eyes and ears open for me. I will be picky.

Default Sorry to hear this...

This is awful news...
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Hypo-thyroid is not that big of adeal and is very treatable. Beleive me, I am an "expert" on this as I have two dogs with it. From a breeding standpoint I can see your concern but it often doesn't show until around 5 years of age, if you made it to 10 you are ahead of the game. My Chessie was diagnosed last summer and is doing great. My Lab who is now 11 (and still hunts) was diagnosed at 5 years of age and she had a very extreme case (one of a few this bad in the country). I can go in to details about her if you would like but her case was the extreme of extremes when it comes to hypo-thyroid.

Default yep

In the big scheme of things I get to keep hunting and enjoying a great dog. But the sad part for me is the end of a line of dogs I have enjoyed for a long time. As long as he is on his pills, which will be until he dies, we should not see any issues due to the condition. Just a little tough to swallow, that's all.
    The good news is that it is freezing up, the mallards will be forced to spring fed creeks, and we will be there in our whites to enjoy the time with the dogs.