Thread: MBRP exhaust

Default MBRP exhaust

Anybody using an MBRP can in their Arctic Cat. I ride a 99 Powder Special and am thinking about adding this can. MBRP says it will add 3 HP and take away 13 lbs for only $249.99. Is it true? If you have one, did you have to adjust anything else, ie. clutch, jetting, chip....

I don't have a MBRP can, but I do have a snowstuff Rumble Pack and it has helped out. I did the can and a clutch kit at the same time and I was really impressed. I have not done any other adjustments to my sled otherwise to accomodate the can. I have a 03 Mountain Cat 800EFI. You might have to do a little jetting if you have carbs, but normally with just a can, you should be ok. Now if you are going with a pipe too, I would definately change or at least check the jetting.

I ran an MBRP can on my 00 T-Cat. If you value your hearing you will wear ear plugs, if you value your ability to ride on public land you will buy something quieter than an MBRP. (unless they have different, quieter models now) I dont think mine added any hp but it did sound cool and saved a bunch of weight. Most of the talk on the net claims that most cans actually cost you power.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

I quit running MBRP a long time ago. They are loud and then they burn out and are unbearable. Most dyno runs show lost power. If you must, get something quieter. You're also not going to feel 3hp even if you get it.

P.S. No offense, but why spend that kind of money on a '99 sled? Just ride and have fun.

Thanks for the insight mod elan. I have been riding the machine for 6 years. I am ready for more HP and can't afford to get a new machine this year. I elected to get my wife a new van instead of getting us new machines. The machine is in great shape. I just want/need more power and the $250.00 did not seem like too much for 3 HP.

Any other suggestions to get what I want...

Get a pipe/can combo, or even twin pipes. But the twins will need to be jetted spot on to save your engine. The can alone will not add HP, lotsa hype about them. The louder tone will make you think you gained, while you will actually lose a bit and burn up more fuel.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Cool Exhaust cans

Akrider-

I agree and disagree with the guys that say you won't gain HP. Typically, these "cans" will add HP, but it will be in the low to mid-range of your powerband and you won't really "feel" any gain. You might get a little better pull off the line or between 30-70mph. I would spend that $250 on some clutch/gear work and get more of the 110hp to the track. You will feel a much bigger difference with drivetrain mods than you will with a "can". Now pipes are a different story and for HP and torque they are worth the money...but then you HAVE to do clutching changes with pipes, so you end up spending closer to $1000.
    Good luck.

Leave it stock. It will cost cost your hearing, fuel, reliability and the ability to get along with other users. We have enough pollution issues as is in our riding areas without adding noise pollution too, and compromising our ability to keep going there.
    No, I am not a greenie.
    I have my own snowmachine, and enjoy it a lot. But its loud enough as is. Those cans are absolutely unacceptable. HH

Quote Originally Posted by akrider View Post
    Thanks for the insight mod elan. I have been riding the machine for 6 years. I am ready for more HP and can't afford to get a new machine this year. I elected to get my wife a new van instead of getting us new machines. The machine is in great shape. I just want/need more power and the $250.00 did not seem like too much for 3 HP.

Any other suggestions to get what I want...

Get a clutch kit. Having a more efficient drive system will put more power to the track. Mine pulls harder than when it was new with the clutch kit I have. Originally when I first bought my sled I had to tighten up my limiter straps to keep the front end closer to the ground. I put the clutch kit on and it started to pull the front end off the ground like it did when I first bought it. Also, changing your gearing to something a little lower helps too.