Thread: fished Quartz creek on sunday.

Default fished Quartz creek on sunday.

..........and did pretty good. We got to our "spot" on the creek around 8:30am. This is the Quartz creek off of Kenai lake. We were fishing flesh flies with a bead (6mm and 8mm) Great day on the creek, but it is getting colder every day. I caught a HUGE rainbow about 5lbs and one other big one got away late in the day. I also caught one dolly. My buddy was fishing the same set up and was doing great with dollies. He landed about 10.
    We quit around 2pm as it was super cold. Lots of dollies and rainbows there but they are pretty motionless, and are not very agressive. I am sure they get a lot of pressure there as well.
    Anyway wanted to pass along the fishing report.

I bet they are full, next time you there try a sz 14 prince nymph
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default picture?

What does that look like? I am not very familiar with flies or fly fishing. Thanks!

I don't think they are full, they are getting ready to spawn. Remember that Dolllies are fall spawners, that is why you aren't alllowed to fish above the highway bridge between sept 15th to Oct 31st.

oh also try orange streamers and wet flies, dollies strike out of aggression when the spawn. The prince nymphs for full rainbows.

Default fun creek

I used to fish that creek like 10 to 15 yrs ago when it was even more productive. We could catch 30 or more nice rainbows/dollies in a day. One thing I remember is some of the rainbows were actually spawning in there in the fall. Not many but some so we were always careful to leave those ones alone. Dollies should already be about done spawning I would think but they seem to strike wether spawning or not about the same.

Default Thanks for the post akbrownfish

I was wanting to take the kids fishing this weekend (ages 3 & 7 ) and was going to ask if anyone has a report on the quartz. Well Im headed off the slope after a long hitch and cant wait to see the kids catching some fish.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

the fishing this time of year is not hot. You have to put a lot more time in to catch fish.

A good option might be to hit some local lakes, with it getting this cold the fish are probably gorging right now.