Thread: Wind/Rain jacket recommendation

Default Wind/Rain jacket recommendation

I'm heading out to the Aleutians for a couple of weeks and need a good wind/rain jacket or coat for the trip.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Default The old standby!

Aleutions = WET

Helly Hansen = DRY

It depends on how much you want to spend, for the best I would get a Cloudveil or Simms, for the best for the money I would get Helly Hanson.

Default Two words

Helly Hanson
    il vaut mieux Ítre bon que la chance

Where in the Anchorage area is the best place for HH gear?

Default Sportsmans Warehouse

Cheapest place I found it. Used on my Peninsula hunt and loved it. Have used it for 12 years. The new stuff is a little bit better than it used to be. I stayed dry even in just high winds and doing normal activity. You won't regret it. Plus compared to other wind proof rain proof gear it is cheap and it works good. Inside dried pretty fast and never felt clamy or nasty or cold from moisture. Roughly $59 for the jacket and $49 for the pants.

Hands down HH!!! The impertech rocks!! Well worth the money.

In what capacity are you going to the Aleutians? Work/play/hunting? I'd go with commercial PVC gear if you're going to be on a boat or working in the Aleutians. PVC WILL NOT LEAK (or breathe for that matter). You'll stay DRY though and the cotton liners dry fairly quick as it is thin. Grundens makes quality jackets and bibs that will keep you dry.

Try B&J Commercial on NL and C for commercial gear; it isn't any more expensive than the other gear. HH Impertech seems light to me, but I don't know in what capacity you're going to the Aleutians.

Tim

Tim makes a great point. As great as Impertech is, that stuff wouldn't last a day on our commercial fishing boat. I use it while hiking and such, but I have much heavier gear for work on the ocean. Incidentally, I used to use HH heavy duty gear, but now feel that Grundens and Guy Cotton heavy duty raingear is better. More expensive, yes, but lasts longer and fits better. B&J Commercial is the only place to go for such gear, and they'll give you a significant discount if you're a commercial fisherman.