Thread: Alaskan Huskie

Default Alaskan Huskie

Hey all
    I am not a musher but I do have an Alaskan huskie (I think)that I picked up in Wasilla. We got him from the pound, and they said thats what he was. He is now 1.5 yrs old. He got alot bigger than I thought Alaskan huskies get. He's very tall, and now weighs 80lbs. He has a the colors, and pattern of a siberian except a pure white face, and shorter hair, and I know Alaskans are very broad in appearance but his face is pure white, and he has tall forward facing ears. People always think he is a wolf. If it wasn't for his lovable, playfull attitude I would agree. What else could he be? The pound even told us where he wondered away from. Some mushers kennel who has had a reputation for dumping puppies on the side of the road among other questionable activities. We went by there, and I couldn't find any that looked like ours. Any thoughts?

Most "Alaskan" Huskies are indeed usually a mixture of breeds...Might help to show us a picture. At any rate sounds like a nice looking pup with the right build and demeamor for mushing.

Alaska Grandma
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

You said you were not a musher, but your dog may have mushing in its blood. It might be fun to see how he likes to pull. All you need is a small cheap plastic sled, a harness (donít need to be anything fancy), a short length of rope and a couple dog snaps. If you heat with wood, try loading a few pieces onto the sled and have the dog help bring it over from the pile. Hauling a bucket of water is also a good way to start. After a little training try him pulling kids around the yard (kids love it), or hooking the dog to a skier for a good time skijor. Your dog (and you) might enjoy it more than you think!

Just a thought.
    Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Default funny

Funny you should say that we bought him a harness last winter, and man can he pull. He could pull me with my daughter in a little plastic sled no problem - even run. We had to hold him back so he wouldn't pull my daughter 100 miles an hour - she's only 3. Anyway he wasn't even full grown. I wonder what he could do now. He's scared of the sled when noone is in it though. When I was a kid in Big Lake I had an oversized Golden retriever (female) she weighed 100lbs not kidding, and yes overweight. She used to pull like she was a full blood sled dog. She would pull me all over town on the snowmachine trails, and even out onto the lake to my ice fishing holes. Sometimes she would pull so fast my eyes would tear up, and Id have to bail out, and drag behind the sled to stop her. So strange for a Golden to love pulling like that. I got really into it, and bought her booties, and a really nice harness plus I waxed my sled, and aside from almost getting taken out by a few cars swinging wide around the corners on my road it was pretty fun.