Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Farewell pics

Default Farewell pics

I forgot to tell the tale of my Farewell hunt this year....Let me preface this story by saying I have NEVER been on a hunt like this before (big $$$ involved!), I just got lucky and was in the right spot at the right time to get invited basically for free!

We had a great 10 day hunt! Flew in on a C-46 with 4-4 wheelers, 3-6 wheelers, and a brand spankin new Polars Ranger RZR (800 cc UTV!). Here is a pic of the arrival and some of the gear -

We were strapping gear all over the wheelers and still had to make a second trip to bring in the 170 gal. of fuel! A pic of my wheeler -

A pic of three racks that went out on the day we came in (from another camp) -

Setting up camp -

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

The area is beautiful! Mostly flat with some high ridges and knobs. I was surprised how dry it was. There weren't any real bogs to be found. Walking was easy and the wheelers were uninhibited.

Some scenery pics -

AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

We ended up getting three moose - a 47" (rookie mistake that went back to the Mcgrath trooper who was very good to deal with. Cost $310 in the end), a 50", and a 58".

Some more pics -

Me glassin from the back of my 6x6 -

"Bison camp" on the Iditarod trail -

A small bull who was making a scrape while we watched him for a while -

Calling from the back of the RZR -

AKmud

And finally......

Our biggest -

Waiting for the plane (for a mere 6 hours while they fixed engine problems...) -

The plane...the plane....! -

Probably the scariest thing I have done on my wheeler to date! This wasn't me, but my trip up nearly ended in disaster. With a full moose in the bed as well as some gear, my front end was too light and I couldn't steer (plus my winch solenoid decided to go out so I couldn't winch myself up the ramps like everyone else did). I wasn't able to see it, but everyone said I was VERY close to being off the ramps at the top as I just made it into the plane! There is supposed to be video of it, but I'm not sure I want to see it!!

And that is the trip in a nutshell. It was an awesome experience with a full freezer to boot!
    AKmud

Wow! Thanks for sharing your experience! It must be rough being you!

Wow!

Incredible!

Wow, looks like fun.

You guys chartered your own DC-6 for teh flight out, man I will never complain about the costs of my hunts again.

Glad you had agood time.

Default And I thought I took too much crap on trip

Geese man you are one lucky dude to be in that right place. I have always heard and seen good things about Farewell. Congrats your hunt, any of the moose yours? Awesome pics. Everts was a great company to deal with for my hunt.

It was supposed to be the C-46 for each way, but they had engine troubles so they sent the DC-6 instead.

I'm not a wealthy guy by any means so this was totally foreign to me. Just got lucky (for once!!).

My moose was the 50" (I was sweating before we put the tape to it....!) I ignored my own advice and guessed at the size instead of confirming brow tines.

Some pics of a bison -

A really cool (full) rainbow -

Sunset -

The Polaris Ranger RZR. This thing really goes! Only problem is the seat height... Bottom of the seat is only about 20" off the ground. Some of the creek crossings got a little "interesting"....

AKmud

Now that is going all out on hunting trip of a lifetime. Looks like alot of fun, glad you bagged your moose.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Talking

Wow- you guy travel light!

wow you guys have deep pockets!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thats one amazing hunt! Glad you all were successful. I will never again think I am bringing too much stuff or harass friends for their packing abilities or plush camps! Do you have any idea what the charter price was each way?

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    had to make a second trip to bring in the 170 gal. of fuel!
    170 gallons of fuel on a four wheeler trip? How many miles were you putting on each day? Thats a lot of fuel to run through 8 machines.

Not many Moose in the area? Three animals for 8 guys seems like a low success rate for this type of hunt.

All I got to say is freaking spectacular and congrats.Daniel

Default Awesome

Thanks for sharing. Pictures were great. Did I miss you saying how many days the hunt lasted?
    "The wildlife and it's habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will." Theodore Roosevelt

Great job Mud! I have been waiting to do this hunt for 10yrs now. Like you said, it does take a few $ but well worth it. I on the other hand have not gotten lucky on the free seat!

Quote Originally Posted by Crumm View Post
    170 gallons of fuel on a four wheeler trip? How many miles were you putting on each day? Thats a lot of fuel to run through 8 machines.

Not many Moose in the area? Three animals for 8 guys seems like a low success rate for this type of hunt.

We came back with about 30 gallons in all. The trip was supposed to be 12 days but we got weathered out and couldn't leave Anchorage for a couple of days (high crosswinds at Farewell). 5 of the 8 guys hadn't been there before, so the first 3 days were spent running around and checking out the trail system and what areas were available. I put about 210 miles on my 6x6 alone. The trail system is amazing out there.

We saw a lot of moose, not all of them legal. The bull to cow ratio was way out of whack too. We were seeing 5-8 bulls a day and maybe 3-5 cows. 4 of the hunters were from out of state and were looking for a trophy (60" +) which we didn't find. There was a big learning curve for several of us on this trip, next year will be a different story!

Do you have any idea what the charter price was each way?
    The rough amount I heard was the trip cost about $20-22k in all. I don't know an exact figure though. Everts hauled the cargo and Alaska Air Transit hauled us hunters out in a Navajo.
    AKmud

That's really not that bad of a price for that trip. That ends up being less than $3 grand per person, which for a flight where you can bring four wheelers and wall tents is about right.

Default Yup.....

Looks like Fairwell. Is Dewy still there? In the past he usually buys up all the unused gas. I have seen as many as a dozen 50"+ racks stacked up there waiting to be flown out - pretty amazing place - lots (LOTS) of 4 wheeler trails.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast