Thread: New member caribou questions

Default New member caribou questions

My friend just moved to Ankorage, and he has told me about a December caribou hunt somewhere near Tok. Both of us are/were avid hunters in Minnesota. I'm seriously considering this hunt because it wouldn't be expensive and I have never eaten Caribou before. Can anybody that has any experience with late season Caribou hunting give me an idea of what to expect? Weather, success rates, locations, type of hunting, and anything else relevant.............

Thanks, Charlie

Actually its up near chicken on the taylor highway. Chicken is about 70 miles by road from Tok. Its gonna be cold. If your lucky you can get one along the road (remember you cant shoot from the road).

Winter hunting up there is a whole nuther ball game as far as gear needed and weather.

Good luck
    Joel

Default Hunt Conditions

Basically the winter 40 mile herd hunt starts at mile 9 Taylor hwy except if the Nilchina herd moves in then the boundary is moved to mile 60 on Dec 1 which is just below chicken as it has the past 3 years. The taylor starts 12 miles out of Tok. Road conditions vary as the road is not maintained and can range from great to not passable depending on past traffic and weather. Its not unusual for the road to get blown shut or to have total white out conditions which makes it real fun. Usually by December if its passable its a single track and 4 whl drive is a must. Weather will range from 15 below down. Don't be surprised to see 40-50 below. Having a snogo with you can be a plus. It can be a time consuming adventure just to get to the hunting area. Also there will not be much daylight to work with so most of your coming and going will be in the dark. Definitely have a couple of shovels with you as you'll be digging either yourself or the guy that moved over to let you pass out of the deep snow. Enjoy!

Question Check the reg's...

Charlie, it appears that your talking about the late season caribou hunt in Unit 20E. That (and most) late season hunts are "typically" for residents only, therefore, a registration hunt. You won't be eligible to hunt, period... Since you also mentioned that your friend "just moved to Anchorage" makes me ask if he's a resident yet. If he hasn't been in Alaska for one (1) year by the start of that December 1st huntdate, then he too is ineligble.... You better double check before anyone gets into trouble... Best of luck to ya....

He claims that we can buy over the counter tags for under $400, but he might be wrong. Sometimes he over looks those "minor" details when he gets interested in something. And no, he wont qualify for resident status until next August.
    You know you aren't really having fun until you ask yourself -how much is this going to cost me?

It's a resident only hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by mnbirddog View Post
    He claims that we can buy over the counter tags for under $400, but he might be wrong. Sometimes he over looks those "minor" details when he gets interested in something. And no, he wont qualify for resident status until next August.
    Well yes amd no, the caribou tag is only $375 but the big game hunting license is another $85. So even if it wasn't a resident hunt, it wouldn't be under $400. The same day airborne hunts in area 17 have also been stopped so the options are extremely limited.

Money isn't really an issue, but if it gets too costly I will just go on a guided hunt. How about unit 22? That have a same day fly in restriction/is it open to nonresidents? Thanks for the help so far guys. I am learning more about this stuff so far than he is and I'm 4000 miles out of the loop.
    You know you aren't really having fun until you ask yourself -how much is this going to cost me?