Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9.3x62 Mauser

Default 9.3x62 Mauser

Who is using one & how does it stack up against Moose, Bear etc. Bite-back critters in your neck of the woods?

Default 9.3x62

I have a p17 enfield scout in 9.3x62. It is a great alaskan cartridge. Every bit the equal or better than the 338 win mag and right on the heals of the 375 H&H. 250gr bullet at a touch over 2600fps and 286gr bullets at 2400fps. I only shoot the 286gr Nosler partition at just over 2400fps. I shot a moose two years ago at 280 yards. Excellent performance. I think it is definately one of the better big and dangerous game rounds especially for alaska. Its track record speaks for itself in africa.

Quote Originally Posted by 340Wby View Post
    Who is using one & how does it stack up against Moose, Bear etc. Bite-back critters in your neck of the woods?
    The 9.3 x 62 is a similar cartridge to the .35 Whelen, and the .338-06. All of these cartridges work very well with heavy or light bullets to perhaps 300 yards. The .338WM is a step ahead of these three in relation to velocity and such, and the .375 H&H is a step ahead of the .338WM for similar reasons. The .338WM can shoot flatter any of these four cartridges, but all are excellent for hunting in Alaska.

I have an R93 Blaser in a 9.3x62 and the accuracy of the round combined with the very manegable recoil surprises me everytime I use it.

I do not have anything that is going to eat me that I am going to need to shoot in my area but evan with my limeted knowledge of ballistics and energy factors I would feel it is a very suitable Alakan round.

Quote Originally Posted by corjack View Post
    I have an R93 Blaser in a 9.3x62 and the accuracy of the round combined with the very manegable recoil surprises me everytime I use it.

I do not have anything that is going to eat me that I am going to need to shoot in my area but evan with my limeted knowledge of ballistics and energy factors I would feel it is a very suitable Alakan round.
    And you are absolutely correct. The 9.3 x 62 uses the same principle as the .338 Sabi, or even the .35 Whelen : heavy and slow bullet for maximum penetration at closer ranges.

A 250 to 300-grain bullet fired by the .35 Whelen, .338-06, .338 Sabi, and 9.3 x 62 provide deep penetration to reach the vitals of any Alaska game. What is happening nowadays is that lots of folks love to shoot far, thus the love for speed. But in reality most of us kill Alaska game within 200 yards, which is perfect for the calibers mentioned above.

Thumbs up

I really like this caliber it is very versatile and can be used on everything from mice to moose. I've personally never taken anything any bigger than red hartebeast (about 500 lbs) but have seen several large animals taken and know of folks using it for grizzly and lion. I know of one huner who used my load of 250 swift A-frame and 58.0 grains of RL-15 for a velocity of 2512 fps from a 23" barrel and took ten African antelope and a couple of wart hogs (that's a test). I would carry one anywhere.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

This is my Husqvarna Model 146 in this cartridge. It has the usual birch stock. I haven't shot it yet as I am ashamed to say I am afraid it is going to kick my butt. I had sent the stock into Anchorage with a nice red rubber recoil pad to be installed, but it was too large. I need to get another one so I can have it installed, and take this thing out and shoot it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I would be surprised if it kicks as badly as you think it might. The 9.3 really doesn't kick any harder than a 300 win mag.

The 9.3x62mm is a great cartridge with a great history of getting the job done efficiently.

No useless belt and great bore vs. capacity balance.

Barrels last forever and accuracy is usually very good with many many different loads.

The only problem is getting factory ammo in any real variety or quantity.

Default 9.3x62

The 9.3x62 is a heavier hitter than any .338 . This cartridge is accepted as the minimum for dangerous game is some African countries , the .338 isn't , light bullets and too much velocity .

I love my 9.3x62 although I havent killed anything with it yet. I'm still in load developement stage.

It shoots the 270gr speers great and now I need to work up a load for the 250gr barnes.

I'm fairly certain I wont feel undergunned with this set-up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Load test 286 grainers

I'd load up with 286 grain bullets. This is the classic load for everything. I'd go with H414.

If you go back in this site you will see how many good to great comments on the 9.3 are here.

Man this is a thread I started mid year. I didn't end up getting the 9.3, not because it's not a great round, I'm sure it is. I just think the 338 Win Mag is better

Default 9.3x62 vs .338WM

I am inclined to agree with you where hunting rifles are concerned. I have three 9.3x62 and one 9.3x74R rifles and had another 9.3x62. I have had twelve .338WM rifles over 41 years and currently have five and this is, IMHO, the single best round for BC-Alaska, especially with some of the superb factory ammo. recently available with premium bullets, or, good handloads.

I have spent quite a bit of time in northern BC, some of it right beside the AK border and while you CAN do it with an '.06, the .338WM-250NP combo just seems better to me and is what I tend to use almost always.

My 9.3 loads give the 286NP about 2500 fps-mv, but, I get an easy 2800 fps-mv from my .338-250 NP loads and these are sub-moa when I hold right. I do not feel much if any difference in recoil and find these quite easy to shoot, while my .375 H&H rifles and my .458WM definitely kick harder.

Still, I like 9.3s very much and love to hunt with my drilling or my beloved 1937 vintage Mauser Type B sporter, but, while these have lots of "stopping power", they do not shoot as flat as the .338WM and this can be important in Elk hunting in the big burns in northern BC and I hope to try Caribou in the Yukon soon, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by logman View Post
    The 9.3x62 is a heavier hitter than any .338 . This cartridge is accepted as the minimum for dangerous game is some African countries , the .338 isn't , light bullets and too much velocity .

Though I also am a big fan of the 9.3's, I do think the 338 is a more versatile performer. Also, even though African countries have "outlawed" the 338 for dangerous game, it is everybit the killer the 9.3x62 is when used with any of the good 250 to 275 bullets and that is where the 338 really shines is with those 250 grainers. So many folks will down load the 338 to 200 to 215 grain bullets and I don't think that is getting the best from that fine old caliber. Even with the 250's it is flatter shooting than the 9.3x62 and with the near 2800 fps it delivers a lot of shock that the higher velocity rounds are known for. The 338 Win mag is a serious heavy game caliber.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default 9.3x62

I agree that the .338 is more versatile but I would always take a 320 Woodleigh , 300 Swift or 286 Nosler over anything spit out of a .338 . I would also choose a 35 Whelen over any .30 cal magnum and a 400 gr. hardcast 45-70 at 2000 fps over any .375 mag . offering . Long live Elmer Keith

Quote Originally Posted by logman View Post
    I agree that the .338 is more versatile but I would always take a 320 Woodleigh , 300 Swift or 286 Nosler over anything spit out of a .338 .
    Remember Woodleigh has a 300gr 338 pill with a SD of .375. Compared with a 320gr 9.3 which is .341. 338 in a 250gr Woodleigh is .313. The 286gr 9.3 is .305.
    Something to think about

http://www.woodleighbullets.com.au/B...l#Anchor-11753

Default 9.3 benefits

The REAL benefit in the 9.3 round over the .338WM and most .375H&H rifles is that you have about the same power/stopping capability and can have a slimmer, more user-friendly rifle with five rounds on tap instead of four. Of the seven CRF .375s I have had, four of them were/are P-64 Mod. 70s as they DO allow 4+1 and are still no deeper in the mag. area than any other Mod. 70.

I have had drop mag. rifles and am getting a Duane Weibe one for my FN Browning Safari .458WM, but, these are expensive and a pita when you want to carry your rifle in your hand, gripped around the action.

My 9.3 x 62s, the Obie Type B, an original Brno ZG-47 and a custom on an FN action ALL are slim, trim and light and still hold 4+1. My "keeper" .338WM rifles, are four original P-64 Mod. 70 Alaskans and a Dakota 76 Classic and hold only 3+1, unless I spend $600+ to equip them with heavy, bulky drop mags. So, for wilderness work, which I used to do, the 9.3-286NP IS a better choice, as the .338WM is for general hunting, IMHO.

I also have two customized bear lever guns in .45-70, a Marlin 1895-'70s vintage with a Wild West ghost ring and post and a Browning 1886 SRC repro with an XS ghost and post. I load 400 gr. Kodiaks, Swift A-Frames and hardcast lead bullets to about 2000 fps-mv. I will say that I must disagree with the last poster, as I find my custom, light .375H&H rifles to be MUCH easier to shoot and the 300 NP will actually do MORE damage than the .45-70s.

Now, to be honest, I am USED to CRF bolt guns and really feel better shooting and packing them as I find the levers with serious .45-70 loads are just a ***** to shoot, even with Decelerators, but, I am used to .375s, .338s and 9.3s. So, there is a lot of personal preference involved and one is well armed with a .338, .375 or 9.3, but, you can have the .45-70s, my Browning Safari in .458 is MUCH nicer to shoot, even with 450 SAFs smoking right out of there.

Default 338 vs 9.3

Packaging is everything in this debate... comparing a 30-06 class case with a modified H&H based case. Stick a 286 grain bullet in a 338 case (as has been done by readers here) and the result is a 9.3 x 64 Brenneke clone that is elevated to 375 H&H power.

For the design limits, the 9.3 x 62 is very good just as the 338 is very good. When Bock created the 9.3 H&H was piddling with an anemic 400/375 and got plowed into the African soil.

225 grain X-bullet and the standard 250 grainers make the 338 hum.

Both are "enough gun"..... enjoy the nuances of these. Whatever you shoot... learn to shoot it well.... for some the 9.3 will be enough while the 338 may be too much.

Default Backing up

I wouldn't argue with anyone over which is "better" between the .338 or 9.3 , I just like the 9.3 more and appreciate its history , a personal thing . Thought it was a little interesting that the 9.3 is seen as more desirable by PHs and a few goverments in Africa over the .338 , maybe they don't know much .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast