Thread: Halibut life cycle

Default Halibut life cycle

I have read the AFG info and other references regarding the seasonal life cyle of Cook Inlet Halibut. However, can anyone provide their personal experience as to when the halibut migrate offshore from the inlet and when they return? THX

I've caught a bunch of chickens in march and some biggies by mid may
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Late Season Halibut

It will be interesting to learn if the practical fishing experience of Cook Inlet's sports fisherman is similar or otherwise to the findngs of research marine biologists in the Pacific Northwest and Alaska.

I wonder when they migrate too. I really would like to know if it's still worth going out after them in mid october.

You can still catch chickens (an occasional hog,) in october, and catch big fish in april. This is my experiance atleast in PWS (Seward)

Default chickens still around

Caught a little 12 pounder today - The wife is cookin it up right now. She needs to hurry cus Im starving. Guess there is still halibut in close - I caught this one in 35 ft of water 2 minutes out from where I launched the boat.

Default Area

Lung Shot -- PWS, Seward, Cook Inlet ??

20 minutes drive north of down town Juneau

Wink 20 years of halibut chartering.

I'm not bragging just validating what will follow. The bulk of the halibut, migratory, will start to move out late September to early October. The resident fish will remain all winter long. This includes big ones and little ones. While trolling for winter kings, all winter, you can catch halibut. Just drop your down riggers closer to the bottom.

The migratory fish will start in with the herring, sandlance, and hooligan early spring. The herring first hit west Cook Inlet, great halibut fishing for bigger ones in May over there.

I believe the biologist know some of the halibuts habits but don't recognize some of there others. We have charterd through October before and had great fishing, "when weather allowed". Weather and lack of customers were the only reason we would stop fishing.

Hope this helps.

Default Charter halibut

Are there charter companies still operating for salt water sport fishing for halibut Nov-Feb?

Default Report your halibut experience

Please post the seasons earliest and latest that you have personally caught halibut and the general loaction i,e, Seward, PWS, Homer/Cook Inlet Thx

Thumbs up All year.

I have caught halibut February through December trolling for kings in Kachemak Bay. On the south end of Kodiak we have caught them through December.

Quote Originally Posted by pontiac-chief-51 View Post
    Are there charter companies still operating for salt water sport fishing for halibut Nov-Feb?
    Yes.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Halibut in November

Is anyone still boating halibut this month??

Is anyone still boating halibut this month??
    Again.... Yes!

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default charters

There are several charters fishing salmon and halibut out of Homer all winter.PM me if your interested.