Thread: Temporary dad of a leather belly

Default Temporary dad of a leather belly

We are boarding a 13 week old CLF. Great little pup. She has me back in full training/playing mode. It is easy to forget the amount of time that can be spent with a puppy that is full of life and energy.
    So now, at least until Monday, I do not have to live vicariously through all of you who are working with their young dogs. I get to do it all on my own. This is pretty cool being a surrogate caretaker. Before I could possibly get tired of her, she will be gone. But again, I can't see getting tired of a pup.
    This little girl is afraid of nothing. She is banzai playful and full tilt boogie for long periods of time, then lights out.
    Her family are not hunters (what a shame) but they do want her to retrieve so play time includes retrieving time. So far I have not found her limit. (Not sure she has one.) Even though she won't be a hunter, I have some goose wings, so off to the snow covered yard we go to play a bit and see how she likes them.
    You know, this surrogate thing might just have merit. Especially since my 17 year old son is off with the big dog shooting ducks this weekend.

Sounds like she is a blast. Working with a dogs developing mind is always fun.
    SNOW. Uh oh. Hopefully it will stay away for a bit longer down here.
    Take care and have fun teaching.

Default she likes ducks

My son came home with a load of ducks. We got a goose wing first, and she just loved it. Took very little teasing to get her pumped. Then a pintail. Just a bit slower to like it, but the lights came on and the chase started. I teased her with it till she was about crazy.
    Finally threw it down the driveway 5 yards or so, and she jumped on it. Was not quite figuring it out so I walked up, and teased her with it again. Another short throw and she was all over it. Picked it up like a pro! Man was she proud of herself!
    Way to cool to introduce a pup to birds. Got to show her off when her family came to pick her up. They were impressed. Oh baby did she make me look good! Just have to love a dog that does all that at 13 odd weeks old.