Thread: Yamaha or Arctic Cat; Vote Please

Default Yamaha or Arctic Cat; Vote Please

Given a choice between the following, which would you choose? I have it narrowed down to these options and prices. Thanks

Arctic Cat 500 4x4; Auto tranny with diff lock. $6249

Yamaha Big Bear 400 4x4; Semi-auto with diff lock. $5649

Yahama Grizzly 450 4x4; Auto tranny with diff lock. $6300

Smile vote

Our vote goes to the Arctic cats. We have three of the 500 auto's and we all like them. The Auto my seem to be a little under powered but they have done everythng that we have asked of them.
    Of the three we have two of the TBX models and one regular one.
    Having voted the A/C one can not really go wrong with any of the ones you mentioned.
    Get what you want and have fun.

Yamaha Kodiak (Grizzly) 450. Have a 2005 and absolutely love it.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Quote Originally Posted by AKdreamn View Post
    Given a choice between the following, which would you choose? I have it narrowed down to these options and prices. Thanks

Arctic Cat 500 4x4; Auto tranny with diff lock. $6249

Yamaha Big Bear 400 4x4; Semi-auto with diff lock. $5649

Yahama Grizzly 450 4x4; Auto tranny with diff lock. $6300
    Arctic Cat 500 4x4 Auto: 493cc / (Travel and clearance) 10in (front) 10in (rear) 12in (clearance) / (Brakes) Front & Rear Disk / (Dry Weight) 674lbs

Yamaha Grizzly 450 4x4 Auto: 421cc / (Travel and clearance) 6.3 (front) 7.1 (rear) 10.8 (clearance) / (Brakes) Front disk, Rear sealed wet brake / (Dry Weight) 593lbs

Yamaha Big Bear 400 4x4 Semi-Auto: 386cc / (Travel and clearance) 5.8 (front) 7.6 (rear) 10.5 (clearance) / (Brakes) Front disk, Rear sealed wet brake / (Dry Weight) 593lbs

Without knowing your exact use it will be difficult to give an opinion you will find useful. The only thing I have against the Arctic Cat is the weight. The Arctic Cat is 72ccs more than the Grizzly 450 but weighs 81lbs more. I think the Yamaha will actually have more noticeable power. The real advantage with the Arctic Cat is travel and clearance, assuming you are not going to add aftermarket tires. With the machines you are looking at, I really think it comes down to dealer service. Talk to each dealer and service manager (very important) and see what "feel" you get from each. Ask them what they offer in "service after the sale" over the other guy. That will probably make more of a difference that the quads you are comparing. I would recommend the Wasilla Yamaha dealer over the Eagle River dealer. I can tell you why if you really want to know. They have saved me over $1,000 in the last couple of months and continue to "hook me up" as I type this. Service after the sale is second to none. I also have one particular sales rep I would suggest out there. I will give you names if you want to check them out. Hell, I will even introduce you to them if you want. I have spent a ton of money (more than I want to admit) there in the last 6 months...they like me and treat me right.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Default Take the cat

I'm tired of people saying Arctic Cats are too heavy. They are utility ATV's made to carry more than most smaller ATV's. The frames and racks are strong axels and driveline are very strong. They come with good radial tires and nice rims stock. 3 year waranty, and many extras. Another complaint against AC is only one brake lever on handlebars for front and rear braking. I ride motorcycle and I need to control front and rear independently. I drive my truck I do not. I drive my ATV I do not. I have a manual shift 500 and is 20 lbs. lighter than the auto, but who cares.Hey have fun out there let us know what you decide.

Default Check it

My 2006 400 TBX took out me, my entire moose (rack included), and about another 60 pounds of gear from moose camp back to my trailer (4 miles with two river crossings) never put in 4 wheel drive. I will have to say that aftermarket tires are a must for the Cat; I kept having problems with beads popping and switched to a 3ply sidewall to make it one mean freagin wheeler! Check my avatar; it says it all.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Thumbs up Can Am 400

Can Am 400 gets my vote!

There's the segment's most powerful engine with 47% more than the Honda Rancher AT, 30% more power than a Suzuki Eiger and 11% more power than the Polaris Sportsman 450.

The Outlander 400 H.O. is still the class leader in power and performance.

New for 2008

Redesigned rear fascia, taillight and regulator cover
    Restyled painted steel rims (on base models)
    Redesigned CVT compartment for better sealing against moisture
    More comfortable handgrips
    500 lbs additional winch capacity (now 3000 lbs/1,361kg) on XT models
    Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Diggerdik View Post
    I'm tired of people saying Arctic Cats are too heavy. They are utility ATV's made to carry more than most smaller ATV's. The frames and racks are strong axels and driveline are very strong.
    Not getting a flame going here but weight has a lot to do with ATVs when comparing them to the displacement they have. It is called "Power to Weight Ratio" and is a big concern to most riders depending on the intended use of the quad. Secondly, the Arctic Cats are actually rated to tow less than other ATVs of the same class. Take the current selection...

AC 500 4x4 auto - 1050lbs (just taken from AC web page)

Yamaha Grizzly 450 4x4 auto - 1102lbs (just taken from Yamaha web page)

Not that there is a lot of difference between these ratings but you did say AC is made to carry more weight than most smaller ATVs. They are rated to carry less than other similar ATVs due in part to their (your gonna hate me here...) extra weight and higher center of gravity (due in part to their higher ground clearance). This is in no way an indication of how much any ATV can tow or carry but an indication at what weight it can safely be done under conditions as tested by the manufacturer. Can your ATV tow 1800lbs? Yes it can under the right conditions. Is it any more capable that any other ATV on the market...no! The fact is that there are really very little differences between ATVs of similar class. Even big-bore ATVs have similar tow ratings as the 450 class. It usually comes down to rider skill in most situations. Additionally, weight makes a huge difference when it lands on your leg or chest. Just ask anyone who has had to push one off themselves on the trail. My Grizzly 700 weighs 600lbs and my Polaris 500 weighs 728lbs. In my opinion the Polaris is too heavy. But that is just my opinion! Like I said before, not trying to get a flame war started. Just a friendly exchange of opinions and ideas.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Default Yamaha!!!

Grizzly 450, I have a 2005 model Kodiak and that is one sweet machine! It'll go anywhere I want and has never faltered. The auto-tranny is so smooth yet the power is right there. I prefer auto trannys, I rode semi-autos my whole life before the Kodiak and oh it is so nice to just push the throttle and go. The push button 4x4 works flawlessly.

Have you checked out the Suzuki King Quads???

Default artic cat

I bought an artic cat for my wife i wont buy another one. She feels the same way wishes she would have bought a honda. we both like the honda. That artic has been in the shop more than ive rode and its an 07 with only 300mi now its time to take back again dashboard not working. At least it has a warranty.

Default well...

You can see from all the replies it basically just depends. I personally have 2 Kodiak 450's and love them... period. Been great machines for both my wife and I. Have done all I have ever asked of them.

For the cats, I use to think old school and thought, I would never, but this year out on Jim Creek, I watched an Artic cat pull 4 machines from the water. 2 Polaris Sportsmans, a Yamaha, and an Cat. I was impressed.

So it basically depends on what you like, I personally think they are all good machines, just use them for what they are intended for and you should fine.

Good luck.

Default For what its worth

I have an 04 Yammy Big Bear. It the only machine I have ever owned and it has performed pretty well. Has carried me everywhere I wanted to go and done everything I have asked it to do. Hunt, plow, drag, play and everything in between. Its a solid rear axle, so it not smooth, but I didn't get it for smooth. Its not fast. I think the fastest I have ever had it going is about 37 mph. I wish it had a locking front diff but other than that its been a good machine.

I barrowed a 03 AC 500 manual this summer for some trail ridding with my old man (he has never ridden before). I rode the AC and he rode my BB. The AC seems like a good machine and had plenty of power. The only thing I really didn't like was it seems a little tippy, but that may just be my lack of experience. I like the fact that is had a Low Range for crawling but in all honesty the BB 1st gear was just as low as the AC Low range and there was no levers to get bent, full of mud or freeze up if it was cold.

Just one persons experience. Take it as you will.

You couldn't give me an Arctic Cat, especially an under-powered and heavy 500cc AC.

Default arctic cat

I've only owned 2 ATVs. Both have been Arctic Cats. The fact that I bought the second one ought to tell you what I thought of the first one.

Default It's Done

Decided to go with the Cat. Got the 500 Auto in green. Should be ready to pick up tomorrow early afternoon. AC is throwing in the Warn winch right now, and it's an 07 close-out, so a little break there.

This is my first one, and a major purchase. Thanks one and all for the input.

Hope to see you on the trail!

My next purchase will be a bow. Already shot quite a few, and am feeling pretty sold on the Mathews Switchback XT.
    Last edited by AKdreamn; 10-08-2007 at 21:31. Reason: Additional 'kindling'.

Default Yamaha

I have the Yamaha 450 its a great machine, the Arctic Cat in the 500 CC is a better machine if it's a manual. All my friends have Arctic Cats, some have the Auto's some have the manuals, my experience when in deep mud and tundra with them is this; the manuals easily overpower the Yamaha, with the extra clearance and power they get it done. The auto Arctic Cats have belt problems when they get wet, the trannies frequently don't shift right and then they go into half power mode when it detects that the belt is wet..... So if you're going to get an auto get the Yamaha, it will treat you right.

I hope you enjoy that Cat. That's what is boils down to - deciding what's important to you and getting the machine that best fits your needs. I bought an 07 Big Bear for my wife and couldn't be happier. I'll probably end up getting a second one for me. They are simple and bullet proof. They aren't fast, but will absolutely go anywhere. They have a smooth four-wheel independent suspension, ultra-low first gear and a manual shift tranny - never have to worry about a belt. I love having the backup pull start, and Yamaha's locker is second to none. Everything on the Big Bear is designed for mud, which means it is one tough machine. Marine grade wiring, sealed rear brake operates like a multi-plate wet clutch and will never wear out. Engine braking system great for steep downhills, I could go on and on. If you get tired of putting that Cat in the shop, consider a Big Bear as your next option.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.