Thread: Best Factory Rifle Stock

Default Best Factory Rifle Stock

Which rifle stock do you consider to be the best factory stock on the market? Not custom or semi custom just plain factory brands that come as a complete rifle. Can be either contemporary designs or stocks of days gone by.
    I really like the stock on my Sako V 300 Win Mag SS. The palm swell is an added bonus, LOP is 14" and the rubber inserts on the forearm and pistol grip area give it a little bit extra grip when holding the rifle in a shooting position. A lot of folks probably consider the synthetic/fiberglass stocks to not have as much appeal to shooters, since they are made from manmade materials and are not as nice looking as a good wooden stock. Living up here in Alaska the synthetic/fiberglass stock is perfect for our climate. I don't really care for the laminated designs very much, they remind me of a compromise between a factory wood design and a synthetic. (A transitional stock). I have one on my Ruger M77 Mark II 220 Swift Target rifle, there is really nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't look that great. Now when it comes to Ruger factory walnut stocks for the M77, I think they are one of the best looking and functioning stocks ever made, a good classic design.

I like the old skeletonized ruger "all weather" stocks (boat paddles)

The synthetic winchester feather-lite/win-lite stocks are a close 2nd.

The ruger feels and handles better with all the scallops that make it highly gripable.

The win/lite featherweight looks the best of all the stocks.

As for wood stocks I like the old remington 700 BDL stocks with the fluer de lise pattern checkering and the winchester safari stocks with decorative cross bolts.

Brno ZKK-602 stock is perfect. Lots of drop, no stupid, useless cheekpiece, a wonderfully designed stock. The Europeans have always been tops at correct stockmaking.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default Tikka

Tikka T3 synthetics are nice stocks. They just have great fit and finish, and seem to be made a lot better than most factory synthetic stocks. The stock was a major deciding factor in why I purchased my Tikka instead of the others.

Default Weatherby

I am a fan of the Weatherby Monte Carlo composite stock.

Absolutely superb.

Default Best factory rifle stock

Kimber....particularly the Kimber Montana. (And I don't even own one...yet.)

Default Ruger

I like the wood stock on the new .375 Ruger African or what ever it's called. It needs a better recoil pad though.

For synthetic I like the Browning (Like on the Stainless Stalker) best. As for wood, it is harder to narrow it down (sorta a one gun argument). I really like the Weatherby Deluxe/LaserMark and Browning (as on their White Gold Medallion). I like the stupid, useless cheekpiece.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Kimber Montana beats any of the many I have owned and used....

The best one is the one that fits you best with your favorite sighting gear and with whatever clothes you're wearing. Hunters come in all shapes and sizes and hunt in all kinds of weather with all kinds of sighting gear. Best for me on a winter hunt isn't going to come close to best on a summer hunt. Best for my 6'4" and long arms isn't going to be close for my 5'6" wife. Scope height has such a close relationship to comb height, "best" is going to be more a measure of your choice of rings than the stock. Try them all and pick the one that fits you best, but don't forget to wear your hunting coat when you "try on" your new rifle.