Thread: General Predator Calling Question

Default General Predator Calling Question

I was just curious how many guys around Alaska are into calling predators (Wolf, Coyotes, Lynx, Wolverine etc)? If so, how and what products (Mouth calls or E-callers (FoxPro, Minaska, WT)etc. is everybody using? What sounds have worked and are there any special "tricks" that anybody is willing to share? I've been calling for a couple years now and keep calling in Lynx out of season. Rabbit/Hare sounds are working as well as some of the bird distress sounds. I've called in some with Crit-R calls and also several with my FoxPro and Minaska. I like the electronic calls since they can keep the critters focused on something else. That and the fact that the mouth calls like to freeze up here in the interior fairly quick on a cold day. I've had Coyotes respond several times, but never show themselves. Wolf have howled back, but I can never lay sight on them either. This season I'm hoping to connect. Thanks for any input and feedback on my questions.

All I have ever done was call coyotes back home for years with a mouth call.Like you said in the winter they tend to freeze up,so I usually carry several calls with me,which also helps in changing up on voices.
    I think I flew down to Arizona 3 years ago and we hit one of our old stands down by Tombstone,and I know this might sound crazy but to be succesful you have to try different things and on this morning we set up low in a dry wash with a good field of view and my partner set up a fox-pro and dang If we didnt call one dog in
    Anyhow Ive never been around a non-mouth call before till then and I was leary at best, but dang if that thing didnt work.SO! Ive been thinking of purchasing one myself.Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    I was just curious how many guys around Alaska are into calling predators (Wolf, Coyotes, Lynx, Wolverine etc)? If so, how and what products (Mouth calls or E-callers (FoxPro, Minaska, WT)etc. is everybody using? What sounds have worked and are there any special "tricks" that anybody is willing to share? I've been calling for a couple years now and keep calling in Lynx out of season. Rabbit/Hare sounds are working as well as some of the bird distress sounds. I've called in some with Crit-R calls and also several with my FoxPro and Minaska. I like the electronic calls since they can keep the critters focused on something else. That and the fact that the mouth calls like to freeze up here in the interior fairly quick on a cold day. I've had Coyotes respond several times, but never show themselves. Wolf have howled back, but I can never lay sight on them either. This season I'm hoping to connect. Thanks for any input and feedback on my questions.
    Sounds like your doing the right thing if your getting critters to come in and call back. Just be patiant and you will connect. I use a FOXPRO and have had a little luck with fox and moose but no yoties or wolves yet. Also, use a couple differant hand calls and a mouse squeeker taped to the rifle.

Are you predator hunters calling them in for shooting sports, or do you eat any of these critters? Just curious...

Brian

I have not gone out predator hunting up here yet so I have not had the opportunity to eat what I shoot yet, however I can vouch that at least back in Arkansas fox and raccoon are delicious. Nothing wrong with shooting them for their fur though, even if you don't eat them.

Lynx meat is very tasty too from what I've heard. Several guys I've talked to use the meat for traplines as well.

Hey camoman,
    Are you the same "Snowcamoman" on Predator Masters? I use the Curtis Pittman e-call with mp3 sounds but have had good luck with just a hand squeeker and/or the Sceery rabbit call. all on coyotes. Have yet to get a lynx or call in a wolf, I let the traps do the work for them.

Mike

I've done okay with a cheapy Western Rivers hand-held digital calling foxes out here on the AK PEN.

Brian,

I'm taking fur.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by tananaBrian View Post
    Are you predator hunters calling them in for shooting sports, or do you eat any of these critters? Just curious...

Brian
    For coyotes and fox, I just plan on keeping the skull and hide.