Thread: Synthetic Oil in I/O motor

Default Synthetic Oil in I/O motor

Just wondering if anyone runs synthetic oil in their sterndrive I/O motors. I have a volvo AQ151A motor with a volvo 290 outdrive and plan to change the oil in the motor prior to going hunting in a couple of weeks. I know synthetic oil maintains its viscosity better in colder temps compared to regular motor oil. I have ran synthetic oil in my older automobile engines and it made them run noticeably better. Other than the costs difference, is this a good/bad idea. Any input?

B. ust
    O. ut
    A. nother
    T. housand

Kammer
    22' Seasport

Default Synthetic is excellent

Check out Amsoil products. They have an extremely low pour point and don't break down like other oils. I run Amsoil in everything, outboards, inboards, snowmobiles, wheelers, vehicles, lawnmower, etc... They make an oil for every application you might need it.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Check out Amsoil products. They have an extremely low pour point and don't break down like other oils. I run Amsoil in everything, outboards, inboards, snowmobiles, wheelers, vehicles, lawnmower, etc... They make an oil for every application you might need it.
    BK
    I am with BK I run Amsoil in everything. Here is the link for the outdrive oil.

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/agm.aspx

If interested I am a dealer and sell at COST.

Default Up to you

I wouldn't change what you've been doing.

Just follow your manufacturer's Owner's Guide and make sure you're using the correct viscosity.

I believe your AQ151A calls for a 10W-30 multi-grade, along with the 290. Most any modern brand will exceed the protection your engine needs, both in the colder starting shear temps and the higher running shear temps you'll experience. Synthetics not necessary. For example Chevron's Delo 10W-30 has a pour point of -44F, while Amsoil's marine 10W-30 is slightly lower at -54F. Probably not an issue.

I'm not a big fan of Amsoil, mainly due to their prices, outrageous claims, annoying advertising, lack of real API certification, and average performance. There are other, better, less expensive synthetics available (if you decide to go that route) like Royal Purple, Mobil 1, Red Line, Schaffer, etc. If I recall, somewhere Volvo actually recommends 15W-50 Mobil 1. But most conventional oils are awefully good these days.

Default Synthetic

I also use Amsoil in my 22' sea sport my engine owners guide calls for synthetic oil use . With synthetics from what I have read you don't get the acid buildup like you do in your conventional oil from blowby.

Good feedback. Thanks. I think for now I am going to stay with what I know. I think I will look into it further in the spring. I ran my boat alot this summer (160 hours) and want to change my oil prior to going hunting in PWS. I will do it all again in the spring but it doesn't cost that much.

Kammer
    22' Seasport

B. ust
    O. ut
    A. nother
    T. housand