Thread: Late Season PWS Deer Hunt

Red face Late Season PWS Deer Hunt

Does anyone know how the blacktail deer in Western PWS fared over last winter? Missed the entire season last year due to deployment in Iraq and looking forward to getting after them if the seas and weather permit this winter, thanks all

Default Planning on it....

First off,

Welcome back!!! I will be out most if not all this winter hitting PWS, planning on hitting deer when the snow starts falling.

Not sure about PWS, but they were hit pretty hard further south. Whittier experienced one of the biggest snow falls last year, Im curious as well to know how the deer faired and if anyone on the forum went after them yet.

What kind of boat you running?

AH

Welcome back! Thank you.

your best bet would be to contact Fish and Game in Cordova as they keep track of that.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

22 ft Hewescraft SeaRunner/ 225 HP Yamaha, call sign "Kaya". Looking forward to getting out there as soon as I can get a good cabin heater installed. Thanks

Thanks AK Nimrod, Wilco on the Cordova F & G

Default my dad has been out there since tuesday

morning with my buddy, the guy who built my boat. He gets a lot deer every year. As of last night they have only seen one and killed zero. They are set to return tomorrow. Longest hunting trip they have done as far as I know of. So not to have any deer yet and not see many is a bad sign. I imagine they are hitting the usuall spots like Naked, Knight, and who know where else in 6 days of hunting. Will give another update when I see them tomorrow. I don't think I will be taking my boat out there, unless they finally find the deer. But maybe the snow will produce more. They have been hiking not just beach hunting.

Default hmm...

I hope thats not a sign for this years deer hunting. I wonder how they faired after last years big snowfalls.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

im going out on a overnighter on the 20th/21st to check it out. have an area in mind not too far away that i seen alot of sign while black bear hunting a couple years back. how is the snow situation over in whittier? does it generally snow about the same time it snows here in anchortown and does the snow stick or melt off until later due to warmer temps? be safe out there and good luck.

Default not looking good

The three of them got back today and the total of deer was 2 seen, 0 dead. Not much sign any where. The hit what I thought. Perry, Naked, Knight, Kings bay area for some reason. 3 guys kicking up 2 deer in 6 days=not good. They heard 0 gun shots the whole time. Also 0 bears. The most sign was high, but even atthat not much sign still. Very little poop and few trails. They did catch a 90# butt in 60' of water. My dad could't believe it. They even had good weather but just no deer.